We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry link on A1A?

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry link on A1A?

Driving from Daytona Beach to Jekyll Island, Georgia and wanting to take A1A as much as possible since not in a rush. I notice there seems to be a short ferry link on Jacksonville coast to do that. Wondering what that involves in terms of length, lineups etc Looking to link up with 17 and avoid 95 etc if I can. Suggestions welcomed keeping in mind more interested in non-thruway route.

Mentioned in this post
Jekyll Island
Jekyll Island
Golden Isles of Georgia, GA
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

As Ben stated, the trolley tour in St. Augustine does have a couple of free parking lots for their customers.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

Thanks to all. I made the trip today and enjoyed following A1A all the way to Amelia Island at which point I did get on 95 as needed to be on Jekyll Island by 5.

Route very scenic in many places and the A1A signs frequent. I did take the ferry and was glad I had taken down directions from the link provided here - used the From the Beaches directions - there are a couple of left turns that are helpful to know about given the 3 lanes of traffic. I did see a couple of free parking places right on A1A for trolley tour in St. Augustine.

Picked up ideas for areas along way to explore another time. I have to return rental car next week at Daytona and depending on weather and timing may take trolley tour in St. Augustine's. Weather here is looking iffy over next few days so may not make it to Savannah this trip. They have just started trolley tour here at Jekyll Island so will take that and maybe one on St. Simons.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

Glad it all worked out!

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

Special thanks to you for ferry link. I did notice some day trippers on bikes and motorcycles on ferry just going over for the day and there were places to park cars near the ferry. Looked like a nice way to be getting away from busier built up areas in Jacksonville area.

15. Re: Ferry link on A1A?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville