We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Hotel in Central location

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
96 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Hotel in Central location

Hello!

We will be coming in town for a Jags game in September.

We are looking for a nice hotel with central location to restaurants, activities, and hopefully the stadium. We do like to be outdoors and hopefully want to go to the beach a few days We will not be having a rental car.

Would it be better to stay at a beach hotel, and cab in for the game..or stay in "downtown" and cab to the beach?

We were looking at the Hyatt Riverfront.

Any suggestions?

Jamie

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

Do you want a nice expensive hotel or a nice inexpensive hotel?

Level Contributor
96 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

Not run down, not 5 star.

Swanky. Chic.

Most important is that it is walk distance to restaurants and activities.

I was looking at the Hyatt Riverside. How is that area?

Level Contributor
96 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

I'm looking at the Omni as well.

Is the riverway a place that has restaurants and bars and shopping?

Edited: 14 June 2013, 20:23
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

The Hyatt Riverside is on the north bank of the St. Johns, next to the Main Street bridge. It's convenient to the Jacksonville Landing, a reviving downtown, and a quick walk across the bridge to, among others, River City Brewing Company (where lunch guests once rescued a driver who, during a downpour, had mistaken the boat ramp for a street) and the Chart House. It's a good pedestrian area, with the Riverwalk system a big success.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

Omni's just as good a location, convenient if you want to go to events at the local auditorium complex, the Times-Union Center. Their building is somewhat older.

The Riverwalk network (on both sides of the river) has done a lot to promote eateries and whatnot. Jacksonville's shopping is predominantly in the southern suburbs.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

Can't go wrong w/ either hotel. I'd probably go with the Hyatt.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

Also, please understand that without a car (which I would highly recommend), if you stay either at the Hyatt or the Omni, there are really not a lot of things to do in that general area. I don't know of a grocery store to get snacks, and I don't think that there are any fast food places to grab a quick bite. You'll be fairly close to the Jacksonville Landing, which has some restaurants and bars, but the shops are largely defunct there.

Both of the hotels that you're looking at are fine - the restaurants that are close by tend to be a bit pricier, although they're extremely good. Cab fair to and from the beach will be steep. It's likely that you could rent a vehicle for the day for about the same cost.

If it were me, and you're going to pay cab fare to/from the beach either way, I would opt to stay in Atlantic Beach. It's far more pedestrian-oriented with bars, restaurants and shops all close by. I think you may have more fun in that area, then just taxi in to the stadium and back. Either way, you'll have a fabulous time!

Vicki

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

Agree w/ Vicki. Downtown is up and coming, but it's not exactly booming (yet). Good location if your sole aim at coming to Jax is for a football game, though.

You'll probably be spending any free time in Riverside/Avondale/5 Points (5 minute drive, 20 minute walk). That, or San Marco.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

Take a look at the San Marco area for both hotel and restaurant. The Hilton Garden Inn is central and economical. Short walk to the river taxi to take you to the game and short taxi rides to fine restaurants.

10. Re: Looking for Hotel in Central location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:16