We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

1 post
Save Topic
Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

I'm going on a cruise that departs from Jacksonville. I'm most likely coming via NYC (I'm from Australia).

What's the best way to get from the airport to the cruise port and how long does it take?

Is it worthwhile staying in Jacksonville for a night or two and is the city easy to get around in without a car? (I can't drive, I've never learned).

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

Hi there,

First, welcome to the Tripadvisor forums! You will find a lot of great information here.

Some of the cruise lines offer shuttle service to/from the airport. It only takes about 15 minutes or so.

If you're staying in a hotel the night before your cruise (and/or flight home) a lot of the airport hotels offer shuttle service as well.

Jacksonville is a great city, but is not easy to get around in without a car. We are very spread out. You might enjoy staying a night or two at the beaches, which is more pedestrian oriented. You would have to take a taxi to and from the beaches, if you opt for that.

Hope I've been able to help. And if you haven't done so, check out Tripadvisor's sister site, www.cruisecritic.com, where you can find answers to a lot of transportation questions and questions about your particular cruise.

Feel free to post additional questions if you need suggestions on accommodations, restaurants, etc.

Vicki

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
24 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

I don't think I've ever had to do so much homework on finding the most reliable transportation from an airport area hotel to a cruise terminal.

We are staying at the Wingate North Jacksonville after flying in the evening before our cruise. The hotel was not helpful on what I would think is a routine circumstance. Cruise Critic offered limited solutions tied to "some" hotel cruise package plans.

My Question: Do I take a cab (two of us) from the hotel to JaxPort? Do we catch the free Wingate Hotel shuttle back to JAX, and then grab a taxi/shuttle to JaxPort? Is there a shuttle at JAX that runs vans to JaxPort that I can make reservations? Are Gator Taxi and Super Shuttle the only options for transport?

$25 each way for two of us looks good, but at this point, I cannot confirm this option.

Thanks!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

I'm not sure that I will be much help. However - I would not take a shuttle back to JAX then to JaxPort. I think that this would take up too much time (it's not far, but that's a lot of running around). If it were me, I would take a taxi from your hotel to the cruise port. For the ease of this option, I think it's worth the taxi fare not to have to haul your luggage back and forth, etc. etc. For another rate check, you could see what the fare is with www.checkercabofjax.com. I realize that this isn't really as definitive as you would probably like, but we are not super familiar with this since we have not had the need to stay at a hotel prior to a cruise here at home...If you find a great option, we'd love it if you would share it here for others. Hope you enjoy your vacation!

Vicki

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
24 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

Thanks Vicki.....that definitely helps narrow it down. I'll let you and our TA readers know what I find out. Thanks a bunch!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

There are strict timings involved in embarking the ship, and very few sheltered areas to wait for that window to open. Contact Carnival for the exact time frame. Based on what I've observed at the airport, the first bus shuttles from there don't leave until after 12:00. And there is a cost involved. I'd call Taxi Terry for a fare quote too. Checker is the biggest in town, but not the best. You might want to check with the ship regarding return transportation to the airport. I'm told taxis are hard to get when the ship disembarks. Again you could pre-arrange with Terry.

Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

I'd recommend coming into town the night before just because you never know what might happen. There is the Rivercity Marketplace area that has stores if you want to pick up items to carry on the Fascination. Lots of cruisers stay there.

If your familiar with cruise critic there are a TON of JaxPort related advice. We've been on the Fascination twice and always arrive as early as possible and we're normally zone 1 for embarkation.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 19:24
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
24 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

Transportation other than driving to JAXPORT: Gator Taxi (one-way) from JAX Airport to JAXPORT $35 and per the stand attendant "one family. No sharing". Carnival Cruise Bus $20 (one way) per person. Wingate by Wyndham (North Jacksonville Airport Road location) $79 plus tax for a room OR $99 plus tax ($108) but includes free airport shuttle and round trip transportation to/from the hotel to the JAX Port.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

Great info! Thanks for coming back and sharing what you found out.

Vicki

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
24 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

AND......I you want to go anywhere within a 2 mile distance, Wingate will shuttle you for free. There are tons and tons of shopping/dining options within that distance.

10. Re: Airport, cruise terminal and general jax questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 06:20