We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice Football, golf and beaches in Jacksonville, Fla.

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Ferry, NJ
2 posts
Save Topic
Need advice Football, golf and beaches in Jacksonville, Fla.

My friend and I(38yo) are flying down from NY to Jacksonville Oct. 6th to the 9th. We are going to see the Jets vs. Jaguars. We are looking to play golf, hit the beaches, and some nightlife. We have never been there before. We are looking for some insight on hotels, golf courses, beaches, and nightlife. Cost is not an issue.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice Football, golf and beaches in Jacksonville, Fla.

Hi Bruce,

First, would you rather stay closer to the beaches or closer to the stadium? I would recommend the beaches since there's not much to do in the stadium area except the game.

If you decide to stay near the beach, consider the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club. This website lists both of their properties and both are very good: www.pvresorts.com. It's located at Ponte Vedra Beach, which is surrounded by upscale homes, restaurants and shops. The Tournament Players golf course is close by, home of the annual Tournament Player's Championship.

If you stay there, you'll be close to the Sawgrass golf course and you may even want to consider heading down I-95 south to the World Golf Village. It will take you about 45 minutes or so, and it's golf heaven.

There's plenty to do at night in the beaches areas; you will see that we have several beaches and they sort of run continuously into each other: Atlantic, Neptune, Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra.

You will definitely need to rent a car, most likely at the airport. Jacksonville is very spread out and our municipal transportation is extremely limited.

Check a weather forecast before you come. The beginning of October is probably going to be fairly warm, but you never know. The beaches won't be crowded since most of the summer travelers have gone and all the kids are back in school.

Feel free to post again if you have additional questions, or email me directly at vickisfloyd@hotmail.com.

I hope you enjoy Jacksonville. And I have to say it....Go Jags!

Jacksonville Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice Football, golf and beaches in Jacksonville, Fla.

Hi BruceF,

I'm a meeting planner in the area and might have some suggestions for you.

Some good hotels were already mentioned at the beach, but I would also recommend the Quality Inn in Jax Beach if you're looking for a less expensive option in a great location. http://www.jaxbeachhotels.com/. It's oceanfront and right in the the middle of the Jax Beach within close walking distance to a couple restaurants and much of the nightlife. There you'll be close to the sports bar Sneakers and a variety of other bars and clubs that are usually very popular on the weekends. Notable bars - Fionn McCools, Eddie Bahamas. Clubs - Ocean Club, Atlantic Club. These are all located down on 1st St. Another fun place to go is the Penthouse Bar on the top floor of the Casa Marina. http://www.casamarinahotel.com/. Great views from the patio overlooking the beach and caters to an older upscale clientele. It is also a beautiful hotel albeit it small and a little on the romantic side. GREAT Sunday brunch.

Any stretch of beach will be great that time of year, but if you want an area that is a little more secluded you'll want to head farther south to Ponte Vedra Beach/St. Augustine.

If you're looking to stay downtown (closer to the stadium), the Hyatt or the Omni are really the only decent hotels. The Hyatts rooms were recently renovated, but not all of the floors are complete, so if you stay there, definitely ask for one of the renovated rooms. …hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp. The Hyatt is right on the river and on game weekends you can catch water taxis (for a small price) that will take you over to the stadium. These hotels are also right next to the Jacksonville Landing where you will find restaurants and bars as well.

Don't golf much, but I do know that if you're into golf you'll want to check out Sawgrass located in Ponte Vedra Beach where the TPC is held annually. And also the Ponte Vedra Golf and Country Club is a beautiful course. If you head south toward St. Augustine you'll run into the World Golf Village where the World Golf Hall of Fame is located and two championship courses.

Hope this helps!

Jacksonville Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice Football, golf and beaches in Jacksonville, Fla.

Hi BruceF,

I'm a meeting planner in the area and might have some suggestions for you.

Some good hotels were already mentioned at the beach, but I would also recommend the Quality Inn in Jax Beach if you're looking for a less expensive option in a great location. http://www.jaxbeachhotels.com/. It's oceanfront and right in the the middle of the Jax Beach within close walking distance to a couple restaurants and much of the nightlife. There you'll be close to the sports bar Sneakers and a variety of other bars and clubs that are usually very popular on the weekends. Notable bars - Fionn McCools, Eddie Bahamas. Clubs - Ocean Club, Atlantic Club. These are all located down on 1st St. Another fun place to go is the Penthouse Bar on the top floor of the Casa Marina. http://www.casamarinahotel.com/. Great views from the patio overlooking the beach and caters to an older upscale clientele. It is also a beautiful hotel albeit it small and a little on the romantic side. GREAT Sunday brunch.

Any stretch of beach will be great that time of year, but if you want an area that is a little more secluded you'll want to head farther south to Ponte Vedra Beach/St. Augustine.

If you're looking to stay downtown (closer to the stadium), the Hyatt or the Omni are really the only decent hotels. The Hyatts rooms were recently renovated, but not all of the floors are complete, so if you stay there, definitely ask for one of the renovated rooms. …hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp. The Hyatt is right on the river and on game weekends you can catch water taxis (for a small price) that will take you over to the stadium. These hotels are also right next to the Jacksonville Landing where you will find restaurants and bars as well.

Don't golf much, but I do know that if you're into golf you'll want to check out Sawgrass located in Ponte Vedra Beach where the TPC is held annually. And also the Ponte Vedra Golf and Country Club is a beautiful course. If you head south toward St. Augustine you'll run into the World Golf Village where the World Golf Hall of Fame is located and two championship courses.

Hope this helps!

4. Re: Need advice Football, golf and beaches in Jacksonville, Fla.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 15:16