We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatees

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Manatees

Hi All,

We're flying into Jacksonville mid-August and want to see manatees. I appreciate that we're visiting in the wrong season but there might still be a chance of seeing a few of these beautiful creatures, if we're lucky. We plan to drive up to Charleston (for a family party) so would prefer somewhere near Jacksonville to see manatees as opposed to driving down to Crystal River (where all the forums seem to be suggesting). Any help/advice gratefully received.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,484 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatees

Hi there,

I am sure there must be some in the vicinity, but I can tell you that I have lived in Jacksonville all my life and I have never seen one in the water here. I wouldn't even know where to start to tell you to find one. Sorry I wasn't any help...

Vicki

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manatees

Thanks Vicki. Kind of you to reply. Perhaps you'd have time to give me some other advice? We are driving up to a party in Charleston on the Saturday night. We land in Jacksonville on the Thursday and fly back to the UK on the Monday afternoon! Could you advise me of places to see please. We've been to St. Augustine and Charleston before but nowhere else along that stretch of coast. Any ideas gratefully received. It's just me and my husband - we're leaving the children at home so we're looking for a relaxing (and romantic!?) break. Thanks. Ju

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,484 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manatees

Hey there,

You may enjoy St. Simons Island or Cumberland Island. I think you may have to make a reservation for Cumberland Island and a ferry takes you over. There are wild horses on the island!

Also, consider Fernandina/Amelia Island. It's only about 45 minutes north of Jacksonville - nice little town with a lot of boutique stores and good restaurants. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time!

Vicki

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,213 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manatees

Agree with Fernandina & Amelia. Also look at Savannah and Tybee Island. Savannah is similar to Charleston but I seem to like it better. The waterfront area is very historical as is most of the city. There is a fort and a lighthouse on the way to Tybee.

The place to look for manatees is usually around Power plants which Jax has a few of. If they are on the water you might find some there. The manatees like the warm water that comes from the power plant. I am not familiar with Jax enough either to tell you where else. We have them sometimes in Port Canaveral near the locks and even in the inlet so thats another place to look. If there are rocks and algae growth for them to feed on its what they like.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manatees

Thanks folks. Looks like Savannah and Amelia Island are good bets. I'll also look into the power plant idea.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manatees

Savannah!

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
285 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manatees

Hello there. I'm sorry to say that It is not likely that you will see a manatee during your brief time here. However, last month my boyfriend had at least six swim by him as he was fishing on his dock on the Trout River. That said, the Jacksonville Zoo Is located on the Trout River and has a dock that you can go out on. It is quiet and shallow enough for them there, so you just might get lucky. If they remain elusive, it is a first class zoo to visit.

I wish I had better advice for you! Sorry!

8. Re: Manatees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville