We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Will be on a cruise that docks at Astoria on May 7 from 9-6. Have thought about renting a car and driving down the coast and stopping at Cannon Beach to see haystack rock and coastal scenery. I have reservations with Hertz but reservations says only 100 miles included for free and then 25 cents for each mile thereafter. Have never seen that before with a car rental company.

Anyway, is this a good plan or should we stay in the city of Astoria and just browse around the town.

Any suggestions of how to spend our day would be appreciated. We do not like to do the ship's shore excursions.

Level Contributor
35,730 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

We have our own bikes, so don't rent, but you may want to stop in at Bikes and Beyond on Marine Drive and they can guide you to a place that rents bikes in the area. The staff is very helpful, we have purchased several bikes there over the years.

A nice ride is on the Riverwalk Trail that runs along the Columbia River. Go to South Mooring Basin and begin your ride, nice paved paths there, it is my favorite ride in the area. You will see the Riverfront Trolley from this ride which is fun to see.

You may also want to consider taking your bikes to Fort Stevens in Warrenton, miles of nice paved paths to ride around in a gorgeous setting. Enjoy and let me know if you have any further questions on Astoria! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

I thought your pink Del Sol was in Seaside, syrahgirl. Or, do you ride it back and forth between Seaside and Astoria?

Astoria is quite hilly, moonkwean, so I don't know if you'd enjoy renting bicycles there. The climb up to Astor Column especially would be difficult, and because of traffic and the narrow road, not very safe. And unlike most of the rest of Oregon, Astoria doesn't feel very bicycle-friendly, so your best routes would probably be restricted to pedestrian paths like Riverwalk. Fort Stevens would be nice, except for the matter of transporting the bicycles. You could ride the 7 - 9 miles to get there, but that would be across Youngs Bay Bridge, which also isn't very cycle-friendly.

If you'd rather strike out on your own than take one of the cruise line's excursions, I'd suggest renting a car instead of a bicycle. If you do, take it across the Astoria-Megler Bridge, maybe up to Cape Disappointment State Park, where you'll get a different perspective of Astoria and the mouth of the Columbia.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Oh I would definitely rent the car and go to Cannon Beach!!

You can see Astoria as you arrive and leave lol Cannon Beach is so charming and as you say, Haystack Rock and that coast line are really worth seeing.

There are SO many places to shop and browse and eat too.

Personally, riding around on a bike in May might be a form of torture but since our visitor is only in Oregon for a week every summer, she might not be aware of how wet, chilly, windy it can be in May.

or June or even July lol.

If you need recommendations for lunches etc, let us know, we be foodies lol.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Agree with ScarlettO1 and Mistletoe on the car but definatly keep the visit to the Astor colum in, if it's clear at all it is a view you will always remember.

15. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 00:17