We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Astoria the last week of October

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
In Astoria the last week of October

Two adults traveling along the Oregon coast the lat week of October. We want to see the Astoria / Seaside / Cannon Beach area. Where is the best place to stay? Don't really want to pay more than $150.00 per night.

Would like to see the Columbia River Maritime Museum, lighthouses and anything else people suggest.

Any great seafood resturants in the area? Not looking for real expensive places, just good food. Thanks for all your help.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

The Holiday Inn Express, right under the Astoria-Megler bridge is my favorite hotel in/near Astoria. The riverview rooms are large, clean and have gas fireplaces.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

Place to stay that is in your budget, check B&B's, Red Lion or Crest Motel are both decent hotels and low cost. Holiday Inn Express is a newer hotel and you might get into it for under $150 it is nice and right under the bridge. All three of these hotels have a view of the river or marina. I know people that have stayed in all three and recommend them, if you want something close to the riverwalk/trolly both Red Lion and Holiday Inn would do it, if you want a bit quieter pick the Crest Motel. Red Lion is right by the Marina and it is fun to watch the boats. I would skip Comfort Inn and Suites as it is right by the Safeway gas station though it is fairly nice and it is clean.

To see- Lighthouses for sure are great, add in Ft. Columbia (it hosts the North Jetty), Ft. Stevens (with battery Russell, Peter Iredale and the South Jetty) and Ft. Clatsop. The view is great from the Astor Column $1 parking charge.

If you like history Astoria has a nice History Museum, and the Flavel house is very neat. If you like wine there is a Wine Cellar on 10th, there is wine tasting there as well as the Silver Salmon (great seafood but $$). There is also a winery.

I'm glad you have the Maritime Museum on your list is it is great Museum and worth the time and money, it is very well done.

Seafood Restaurants-

For Fish and Chips- Kim's Kitchen in Hammond (has oysters, Halibut fish & chips and Thai food all very fresh)

Shrimp Cakes - Right near the Red Lion is a great restaurant (I think I posted a review) called Bridgewater Bistro it is $$ though.

If you decide you want Greek - the Lazy Spoon Cafe is cheap and very good food, it is a hole in the wall but servers are nice, and food is excellent.

Another place we like to eat with a good selection for vegetarians, and a great Shrimp salad is T Paul's Urban Cafe. It is a fun quirky place and not too $$.

For Organic food the Fort George Brewery and The Blue Schorcher Cafe are favorites of mine. Not too $$ and a good selection of beers at the Brewery and baked goods all organic and fresh at the Cafe. (you can get them to go also.

If you check my reviews I have done most Astoria Restaurants, there are still more I need to write, but I have visited most of them and these are my favorites.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2420-Astoria_A…

Here is a go list I wrote it is for families, but might give you some ideas.

Level Contributor
34,723 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

If you want to stay in Astoria with river views, the Holiday Inn is a great suggestion, it is right on the river with beautiful views, there is also an indoor pool there and a nice lobby area. If you want to stay downtown in Astoria, the Hotel Elliott is a nice choice, you can walk to restaurants from there and the Columbia River Day Spa is right across the street. Silver Salmon Grille is a nice choice for a seafood meal in downtown Astoria. You may also want to consider Clemente's, we had some really great salmon there a few weeks ago and they are now in a beautiful new building on the corner, you can walk there from the Hotel Elliott. The Ship Inn is also one of our favorites for fish and chips, we have been going there for over twenty years. They have very good Halibut fish and chips and I love the Shrimp Salads here. Yummy desserts also, my son and I loved their Banana Creme pie. www.oldoregon.com

In Seaside, you may want to check the rates on the Rivertide Suites, it is about a block away from the beach and right across the street from Guadalajara, a great Mexican restaurant with excellent fish tacos. I would go to Norma's Ocean Diner for some good seafood, I love the Crab Melts here. Cannery Cafe in Astoria also does good ones. Goose Hollow @ the Cove is a good, casual place to check out down by Ave U. They have good Crab Melts here as well and some really great pizza. Bell Bouy in Seaside is a fish market where you can buy fresh fish and they have really good Shrimp Cocktails here and a nice selection of seafood sauces to purchase. www.seasideor.com

In Cannon Beach the lodging will be a bit more pricey, this is a very nice, upscale area of the Oregon Coast. Check out Schooner's Cove, Land's Inn or the Waves Motel, you can walk to the downtown area from these properties. For some good seafood in Cannon Beach, we like Mo's, you will have views of Haystack Rock here. If you want fine dining, check out Newman's @ 988 or the Stephanie Inn. We also like Bistro in downtown Cannon Beach, I had some excellent Sea Scallops here and my husband loved the Halibut here. www.cannon-beach.net is a good website to acquaint you with this area.

Have a great time on your travels and with your planning! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

Put me down for the Red Lion. I really love that place, especially the balconies right over the marina. If you do stay there, please let them know that you don't want rooms 128 or 228. Those are the only two rooms without a view. I always stay at the Red Lion via priceline, and have paid as low as $37/night and as high as $61/night.

Cheap hotel equals lots of yummy ft. george beer.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

If you are interested in US history, would highly recommend a trip across the bridge and over to the SW corner of WA state near the town of Ilwaco, about 30-40 min drive. There is an outstanding Lewis & Clark exhibition at Cape Disappointment:

www.nps.gov/lewi/planyourvisit/caped.htm

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

Just spent a week in Cannon Beach. We stayed at Lands End Motel right in down town CB. We like it very much. Very friendly management and wonderful views. You might be able to find a room in your price range. Call them direct. Some places we ate and liked are Bill's Tavern (excellent beer and hamburgers), Dooger's in Seaside or Cannon Beach has always had consistently good seafood, Lumberyard had good fish and chips and seafood, plus BBQ that looks good and people around us said it was. Before eating at Mo's, I would read the reviews :) We were not impressed at all...except for the view. Have fun, bring a raincoat just in case.

Level Contributor
34,723 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

Glad you enjoyed Cannon Beach, my husband said the weather there has been gorgeous, he enjoyed a great meal last night at the Wayfarer with our son and his sister. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

I second the suggestion for Cape Disappointment, except that I think I drive faster than half-Brit. ;-) Besides the Interpretive Center (from where you'll have the best-of-all view of the mouth of the Columbia, there's the North Head Lighthouse, which I think has the most dramatic setting of any on the north coast.

Your lodging choice I'd think would depend on your interests. If they're history oriented, pick Astoria; if it's scenery and surf, Cannon Beach; if corn dogs and arcades, Seaside. There's a reason lodging costs are higher in Cannon Beach than Seaside and Astoria, but if it's a weekday stay, you should find something nice within your budget. It doesn't have an ocean view, but I've always liked Cannon Beach Hotel. Whatever you decide, check reviews on this site before booking. At least one poster here has done little more than drive by the places she recommends. By the way, where is the Land's Inn, syrahgirl?

Astoria
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

Astoria is known for all the old homes that it has. There are alot of bed and breakfast to choose from, some within walking distance of the downtown and museums. Most of them have rooms under $150 per night with a breakfast. If you are in town the last Sunday before Halloween, the Historical Society puts on a tour called "talking tombstones". You can learn alot about some of the people that once lived here. It is a free event, they do welcome donations. You can learn more about this event at www.cumtux.org. The Columbia River Maritime Museum is very interesting, most people it takes 2 hours to go through, but well worth the time. Restaurants, T. Paul's Urban Cafe is great, I've sent alot of people there with no complaints. Brew pubs, Fort George another local spot with great beer. Silver Salmon and Baked Alaska are good, just more price wise. Enjoy your time in Astoria.

10. Re: In Astoria the last week of October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:17