We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orem, Utah
Level Contributor
238 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

Will be in Portland for a conference and afterwards want to spend 2-3 days in Astoria. Where would you stay, eat and see while there?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

We enjoyed our stay at Clementine's B&B

http://www.clementines-bb.com/

You'll get a few restaurant recommendations from others in the forum. Over 2-3 days, you'll have enough time to check out most of the better places and make up your own mind as to which is best. Sometimes you pick view, sometimes menu. Fish and chips or haute cuisine (sorta). I don't think we experienced anything memorable, other than the town itself (and the breakfasts at Clementine's).

Level Contributor
34,499 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

Hi there, chris 1916, what is your budget for lodging? The most upscale property in Astoria would be the Cannery Pier Hotel. Whether you stay there or not, I would plan at least one meal at the Bridgewater Bistro, a fairly new venue with beautiful river views and excellent food. There is also the Hotel Elliott in downtown Astoria, from this hotel you can walk to several good places for meals. Drina Daisy, Fulio's, Silver Salmon Grille and Schooner's 12 Street Bistro.

Astoria is well-known for their Bed and Breakfasts Inns. Rose River Inn, Britta's Inn, Benjamin Young Inn and Grandview Inn are all very nice places to stay. Some other places we like to dine: Rio Cafe for Mexican food, Clemente's (they have a new building and the food is really good now,) and the Ship Inn for some excellent fish and chips. The Cannery Cafe is also good for seafood, we like to sit out on the outdoor patio when the weather is nice and take in the scenery here. Really yummy clam chowder and crab melts at this cafe, you will also have gorgeous views of the river.

We have been traveling to Astoria for over two decades and have a second home here, let me know if you have further questions about Astoria. www.oldoregon.com is a nice website to acquaint you with the area. Have a fun time on your trip and with your planning. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

We spent a weekend in the Hotel Elliott a couple summers ago. Nice place with some neat features - love those heated bathroom floors - and lots of character. But it still shows its age, even though it was refurbished within the last several years. If we go again, we'd probably pick Cannery Pier, a newer, boutique-type hotel. You might also consider the Holiday Inn Express, which has a location every bit as good as Cannery Pier's (better actually), but without the high rack rates. It's cookie-cutter Holiday Inn, though. Regardless, Astoria isn't that big; it's a bit of a walk from Cannery Pier to downtown core restaurants, but doable.

Syrahgirl mentioned just about every restaurant in town except for T Paul's Urban Cafe and Rogue Ales Pub, which happen to be two of our favorites. We like Clemente's too, but didn't have a great experience at what used to be a sister restaurant of Bridgewater Bistro, so haven't tried that place yet.

What to see? The obvious are the Astor Column and the Maritime Museum. But, I think you'd just as much enjoy driving across the bridge and heading up to Cape Disappointment State Park, just outside of Ilwaco, WA. Dramatic oceanscapes from the North Head Lighthouse there, and the view of the mouth of the Columbia River from park's Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center (which itself is worth a couple hours) is unparalleled. On the way to or from Cape Disappointment, stop at Fort Columbia. Not the same jaw-dropping scenery, but interesting nonetheless.

Can I ask why Astoria?

Level Contributor
34,499 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

If you like picnics, I would go to Peter Pan market, they have a nice selection of deli sandwiches there. This is our favorite place to pick up some bakery goodies, also. Their Carrot Cake is amazing, they also have really yummy pies here and Chocolate Cheesecake. A drive up to the Astor Column would be fun, there are picnic tables there where you can relax and take in the gorgeous views of the river, Saddle Mountain and the Astoria-Megler Bridge. :)

astoria
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

I've had friends and relatives come and visit and have liked staying at the Rose River Inn B & B. There is alot to do that is within walking distance of this place. For restaurants, T. Paul's Urban cafe is very good. Baked Alaska, great view and Fort George Brewery for good beer. The city's website oldoregon.com is a good place to check out attractions in the town.

Level Contributor
34,499 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

The Wet Dog Cafe is near Baked Alaska and has some good food in a casual ambiance, if the weather is nice we like to sit out on the small deck there. Baked Alaska also has a nice outdoor deck over the water, we like to go here for appetizers and a glass of wine. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

I always stay at the Red Lion because you can get it for $40-$70 on priceline depending on what time of year. If money were no object I'd try Pier 39. I've been to Cannery Pier but it wasn't really my scene although it was pretty nice. Besides Drina Daisy I think my favorite restaurant is the Ft. George Brewery. The food is surprisingly good there, and their IPA is a must-try. Did anyone mention the Cathedral Tree or the trolley? Fun things both.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

I responded to your Seaside post.

If I were here for the first time, as you appear to be from your profile, I'd go to Cannon Beach. I'd see Ecola State Park at the north end, and a bit south, Arcadia Beach. These, and Cannon Beach, provide a taste of the OR Coast. Astoria and Seaside, IMO, do not as much.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

Depends how much you want to spend. The Cannery Pier will hands down give you the most 'ambiance'. All the rooms are on (and I mean literally OVER) the Columbia River. Ships are close enough to hit with a rock as they go buy. It is truly spectacular. They have a car that can take you into the heart of downtown, although the walk on the waterfront path is not too far, and very nice. If you would rather be in the heart of this little town (and pay a little more) the Hotel Elliot is also very nice. Regarding B & B's do your homework, we have had some bad experiences with more than a few. I would stay away from the Red Lion, not as reliable or nice as the usual chain locations. The Holiday Inn Express is ok, but it is a Holiday Inn Express. The Crest Motel has nice views, but is a little far out of town. The Urban Cafe and the Coffeehouse are the two best casual, lunch type places in town. And the coffeehouse has great coffee. They also do 'to-go' so you can have lunch a block away on the Columbia River if it is nice. The Bridgewater Bistro is nice, great atmosphere, but the service/food is a little hit or miss. And, given the price you will hope for hit. Clemente's is kitty korner to the Liberty Theatre (which you should check out) and has the best seafood in town. Baked Alaska has a good view, but the food is ok, and you may not get the best service. Fort George is also a lot of fun.

Definitely check out the Column. The park is open, but the staircase to the top may be closed for renovations. Go in the morning, as you will be looking to the West to see the best views (and it is no fun to do it staring into the sun). The Maritime Museum is awesome. Leave 3-4 hours to do the whole thing (admission is all day so you can go and return later), and make sure you watch the video right when you walk in, it is amazing. Fort Stevens State Park is great, expecially the Peter Iredale shipwreck. Ecola state park (about 45min South in Canon Beach) is beautiful. You can always check out all the 'movie' spots from Goonies, Ring(s), Kindergarten Cop, Free Willy, etc.

Enjoy!

10. Re: Where Would You Stay In Astoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 05:24