We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Considering to move to Astoria

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
I'm Considering to move to Astoria

I've had desires for the Northern Coastal climate to get to for years (Without luck yet.), like Northern Oregon, Washington and sometimes thought about Alaska.

I've been eccentric to the Normal outlook of people. I hate the Sunshine. It's been bugging me and most of my 50 years of life and have tried in vain to find a climate with more clouds, fog, rain and below 80 degrees during the summer.

Will Astoria welcome me? Seems like the best hub to everything for me.

I've been stuck in Sacramento, California because of my Mother living here. The place was never my choice.

The climate now is keeping me celibant. Because I don't like finding a woman with this hellish climate not allowing me to be me.

And people down here thinks its all thought of me as being mentally ill, because I like climate weather contrary to the popular mainstream. I'm more confident with doing better for myself with a day being 100% Cloudy, rainy or foggy and below 75 degrees. I need it. I've never found enought cloudy days to disappoint me for wanting to see the Sun again. I am losing control of myself with these 300 days of the Sun shining out of the year down here in Sacramento, California though, where I'm living and hate people wanting me to see a Doctor and take medication to love the Sun. That's crappy, because I like to see what really will work for me, if I can have it.

I could say more, if I can find work and a place to live at, before late Springs Heat starts up. Or else I'm not going to be in the mood.

I've called myself NimbusBird, because I Love the most of seeing Nimbus Clouds and Birds is my favorite creature I admire.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

I live across the river from Astoria, OR and work in Astoria. If it is clouds, rain, fog and almost below 75 degrees Astoria would be a place for you!!! (Add in the wind storm that kept me up ALL night last night and you'll get everything except for a lot of sun)!!! Astoria is a great place rain or shine and IMO, even better on those clear warm sunny days!!! It's a great location still to Washington, the mountains, the Portland area, and of course, the beach. If you are single, remember that Astoria isn't very big. If you have never been, come visit!!!

Level Contributor
35,730 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

I agree, come and visit for awhile. I think Astoria is a gorgeous place, we've had a home there for about twenty years now. The town is definitely changing!

You can find more info on the Chamber of Commerce website, just google Astoria, OR. Good Luck to you! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

syrahgirl, is your home in Seaside or Astoria? I get confused. How is the house on Bull Mt?

4. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2006, 01:36
5. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2006, 01:35
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

Astoria sounds like it would be a good for for you.

Syrahgirl--So how long are you here for? At least you are getting some sunshine now for your visit:)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

Thanks for the feedback.

The idea of moving is complicating things for me. I'm thinking of finding a week where I can get up there to look for a job and a place to live. Not pleasure tour the place. But I would like to tour it as a means of getting familiar with the place.

If Astoria itself doesn't have job and a place for me, maybe neighboring towns like Warrenton, Seaside or even Longview - Kelso, Washington ... (?) But I feel I need to get up there. And still, if not in this area, I'll consider Grays Harbor ... (Aberdeen, Washington even.)

I am thinking of flying from Sacramento to Portland and get me a Rent-A-Car. (I'm wondering if AAA can get me a discount with Rent-A-Car?)

Is there an Airport in the Astoria area that flights can be made to?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

I believe the closest airport is the Portland Airport (PDX), which would be about 70+ miles away.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

We had to do a lot of research and came here for 10 days last September to explore and see as much as we could to be sure that we might want to live in Portland.

We all move here for various reasons, only you can decide what will work for you.

I am saying this because even on TripAdvisor, you will get posters giving information that is not always correct and you should not rely solely on information gleaned from these forums.

At least, try to depend on the information coming from people who actually live in Portland or Oregon, that will help you more.

Mtngrl and mistleto are long time Oregonians and I think you can depend on their opionions ( I am a newbie:) )

Good luck!!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm Considering to move to Astoria

Scarlett is right that the closest (large) airport is Portland.

Seaside is a touristy, carnival type atmosphere of a town. Definitely lots of rain there, but just not really a place I have ever enjoyed, for what that is worth.

Longview/Kelso is a nice, quiet area. We have friends that live there and are very content. I don't know much else about it though.