We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

does this look better? san jose to portland

San Diego...
Level Contributor
475 posts
Save Topic
does this look better? san jose to portland

ok check this out. on this plan i haveone extra day to put somewhere - do i add a day in cresent city area, healdsburg, newport,ecola or ?????

I am still not sure about the 24? i can spens an extra night in the wine co or add it somewhere else. thoughts?

23 Healdsburg

24 Healdsburg

25 slow drive to Mendocino

26 Mendocino

27 explore drive to eureka

28 explore drive to Crescent City

29 explore crecent city brookings and Sleep in Gold Beach

30 Jet boat all day - Night in Port oxford

1Yackats

2 Spend full day Newport

3Slow drive to Ecola State Park area

4 Ecola St Park area

5 Portland via Astoria or Rt 26

much appreciated

Columbia River Maritime Museum
Speciality Museums, Bodies of Water
Astoria Column
Monuments & Statues, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Fort Clatsop National Memorial
Historic Sites, National Parks
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: does this look better? san jose to portland

I might drop some time in Healdsburg. to get north sooner. If you are from San Jose that could be good long weekend and include Napa Valley as well.

Think you have good plan.

And if you like cheese, Tillamook is best there is, so stop there is good. can include on slow drive from Newport to Ecola

Washington State
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: does this look better? san jose to portland

I would think that two days in Healdsburg is fine. It's a great little town in Sonoma so you will have plenty to do. You can head over to Napa from there if you want, but you shouldn't really have much reason to.

We love Mendocino - have a great time!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: does this look better? san jose to portland

I'll comment on your last part :)

1Yackats

2 Spend full day Newport (there is enough to do, good choice, don't miss the Newport Aquarium for sure, there is also the Science Museum nearby, the Sea Lion caves are not far away.. north if I remember right)

3Slow drive to Ecola State Park area (Great there are awsome pull offs north of Manzanita and before Cannon Beach... take the time and pull over it is worth it. There is Hug Point as well as others, get a book about the beach areas..the history's are very interesting. For example Hug Point used to be the main road for the mail, you can still see the tracks and the handholds! expecially when LOW TIDE.

4 Ecola St Park area (it is beautiful!, Take in Haystack Rock also, as well as Indian Beach (if you get low tide here there are wonderful tidepools!).

5 Portland via Astoria or Rt 26 (26 is mostly forest, but if you feel like hiking there is Saddle Mt. From Cannon Beach to Astoria takes about 50minutes, unless Summer and very buzy then add another 10-15 minutes or so. You would go thru Seaside, Gearhart and Warrenton are off of the HWY.. if you want to drive on the beach you can just north of Gearhart. In Warrenton is Ft.Stevens and The South Jetty with a lookout tower (awsome.. I suggest a picnic if nice!). Otherwise, cross the Bridge over Youngs Bay and go eat at The Silver Salmon or another restaurant, I also like the Urban Cafe, unique and mostly organic foods, I love their taco salad (I have eaten that at most restaurants in the area LOL.. but it has organic chips, fresh onions, and nice mixed greens not iceburg lettuce, and there are saltwater aquariums in the back!)

Other options in Astoria are the Column, The Maritime Museum, or picking up fresh seafood for the way home! There are 3 fresh markets right in town. Also there is a Trolley you can ride in the summer, or you can also walk along the waterfront.

After Astoria, I head into Rainer, but skip over the River via Longview Bridge then take I5 to Portland.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: does this look better? san jose to portland

Wanted to add at the Cheese Factory my favorite thing is the Ice Cream! LOL :)