We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

San Diego...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Topic
phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

Phirl, We will be on the Newport Belle B and B July 3 and 4 if you'll be in area, let me know.

Ken Myron

Mistletoe, How would you rate the Mt Hood loop through washington and oregon for a one day adventure compared to any other one day adventure in the side trip out of Portland

catagory. Is this better done in two days, one day or doesn't make a diference.

What are your favorite two restraunts in Portland?

I know most of the attractions sort of stuff as I have been to Portland for 5 day before. But what woulld you say is the one not to missed thing to see or do just in case i missed it. We love fun stuff, nature, adventure and off the wall one of a kind activities.

Someone said that fishing off a jet boat in the river is a lot of fun. ????

When you said that you would go back portland through tilamook rather than astoria--does this hold true even if I am "in" Astoria to begin trip back.

As for astoria vs ecola-- well, all I know that I'll have up to a total of 3 days 2 night before I must be in portland.

I must be burnt out on planing.

Because I will have done plenty of spa, wine, and beach activies- neither astoria or more time in ecola or cannon seem that appealing. L and C is cool but I rather swim with whales.

Perhaps an overnight river funyack/raft whitewater raft trip. or some other deep nature adventure. Any thoughts.

Has anyone been to Mt st. Helens?

When

Your the best,

When in San diego, let me know

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

J&S--OMG, you definitely need to hit some of those places this summer! The Wallowas are amazing! We are already trying to find time for another backpacking trip there this summer. And the north Cascades, and that entire area, and Rainier...OMG...beautiful and amazing hiking/backpacking! You climb though too right? My husband says the Rainier climb is beyond words.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

Isn't it amazing on how many places you can miss out on? It seems like we're out every weekend doing something or seeing somewhere new, and still, after over 30 years, these places haven't happened!

We've got to get back in shape for the Rainier climb - that's a long slog... we haven't climbed anything for a few years since the Sisters. After the South Sister trip, Sandra decided she needed a break, so we found other stuff to do.

We have done the Goat Rocks Crest trail from White Pass to Walupt Lake - that almost counts as hiking Mt. Rainier - it was so close it felt like we could touch it. WOW what a trail that is.

We ALMOST got to the Wallowas last year, but opted for the Olympics instead. This could be the year!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,974 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

I can see it now..

The only way I will be a True Oregonian is if I go climb some damn hill and fall off a rock and slide on my arse down some icy mountain ... but no way am I getting on a boat in some rapids..

LOL

J&S, I will read all your reports on all the stuff you do, though :D

Mtngrl, you too. You can tell me all about the hikes and those fabulous inns that you stay in and I will tell you where to stop and eat LOL

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

I've lived here all my life too but never been to Crater Lake.

Never been skiing here, only played at Mt.HOOD, and watched my Hubby climb it!

I have been to St. Helens though and would definately go again.

As for choosing between Ecola St. Park and Astoria.

I would go to Ecola St. Park.

I live East of Astoria now on HWY 30. But the beauty of the Ocean is unsurpassable, Personally I never tire of it.

At Ecola St. Park Area.. which is actually IN Cannon Beach :), You can visit quaint galleries and shops, get some taffy, go fly kites, walk on the beach, go to Ecola St. Park and Whale watch (depending on time of year), Hike over Tillamook head, go to Indian Beach (awsome tide pools at low tide). Get a beer and food and relax :).

Off the wall activity suggestion, rent a small boat and go up to Willipa Bay (Washington), get your clamming licence before you go, and putt around the island (HIGH TIDE!).. moor, hike around and play on the island and get as many clams as you can cook (low tide) and eat, then bring some back with you :) (HIGH TIDE :)). I also snag some oysters but you're not supposed to ;) Oh and it is about 6 hours between tides.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,974 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

We were all set to go to Ecola State Park on Mon but something came up, seems that while we were having a sunny nice day, it rained there, so guess it was just as well.

I am looking forward to going though, I like Cannon Beach, I know I will love Ecola State Park.

We were going to see Mt St Helens also, but will wait til we can get as close as possible - especially since my friend told me that we can see the elk down in the river bed..many photo ops there!

Yesterday we spent hours hiking in our very own little forest..well, not so little, we have Forest Park in Portland and all I can say is WOW...what a fabulous place!

If anyone is here and just needs to be in the woods without having to drive far, go to Forest Park.

It is a 5,000-acre Park , the largest forested city park in the country, there are more than 70 miles of interconnecting trails for runners, hikers, and bicyclists...so if you are in Portland and are overwhelmed with the need to walk in the woods, there you have it!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

J&S--I am not a climber. I will do pretty much anything, but not ice axes/rope, lol! The biggest one I have tackled was the South Sister several times. Love that! DH is a climber though and really enjoys it. He was hoping for another Rainier summit this season, but not sure if schedules with climbing partners work yet. We will be in the Olympics in July again. So beautiful!

Scarlett--Forest Park is great! REI has a great little pocket set of maps of various trails for it. In July they do a "Walk for the Wildwood" which is a lot of fun. Did you see the Vietnam Memorial near the parking lot? It is sort of a timeline of the war and also of things that were going on in Oregon at the time. Since I grew up in OR it was interesting to read it all and remember it.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,974 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

I thought the VietNam Memorial was in Washington Park?

We were there...it is near the Arboretum.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

Scarlett--You are not confused...we just park there and then hike into Forest Park. It all kind of meshes:)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,974 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: phirl, mistletoe, sarahgirl, scarlet

LOL, Mtnrl, I am always confused...

We took Thurman to the top and hiked up the old road..have no idea where we were in relation to Washington Pk, etc.