We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Astoria

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Astoria

Can anyone advise me on the best,scenic, reasonable route from Seattle to Oregon? I will be traveling in the mid to late afternoon on a Saturday.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Astoria

Sorry.....I meant to say from Seattle to Astoria, Oregon.

Lebanon, Oregon
Level Contributor
264 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Astoria

I would take I-5 south until you get to the 101 N exit towards Aberdeen/Port Angeles, then take Wa-8W towards Aberdeen. Wa-8 becomes US-12W ,turn south on 101 which goes to Astoria

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Astoria

I would get off I-5 at Kelso-Longview, cross bridge to Rainier and take US-30 to Astoria.

Lebanon, Oregon
Level Contributor
264 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Astoria

As phirl as suggested this is the faster route, enjoy the freeway.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Astoria

Yes, it's definately faster to go to Kelso/Longview, WA and cut over to highway 30. You could also check out mapquestdotcom. I'd guess they'd say the same for ease and less amount of time.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to Astoria

I also like going the backroads but not sure the names of the HWy, but down thru western Washington to Astoria, instead of I5 all the way.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle to Astoria

Going through Washington, you'd cut over in Olympia (sorry no highway numbers), Montesano and then Highway 4 along the Columbia River. Along the way you'd go through small towns such as Raymond, WA, South Bend, WA and Naselle, WA. Then you'd drive the 4 to 5 mile bridge that connects WA with OR. It's a nice drive, but definately not the shortest route.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle to Astoria

Okay, then what is the estimated drive time, via the scenic route?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle to Astoria

Approximately 3 1/2 hours from Seattle to Astoria, OR going through Montesano and the smaller towns mentioned above. Then tack on another 15-20 minutes to Seaside and about 30 minutes to Cannon Beach from Astoria. Also, I may have errored on the highway. I think it's highway 101 South not highway 4. Sorry!! I just drove from Seattle to Astoria last Friday (going through Longview) and it took 4 hours however it was on a Friday at 4:30 during rush hour!!!

Longview, WA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle to Astoria

The route through Raymond is a lot longer and the scenery really isn't that great. I'd suggest taking I5 to Longview and then Hwy 30 along the Columbia River. It's over 20 minutes and 5 miles shorter. There really isn't much scenery along Hwy 12 and 101 through SW Washington. A little around Raymond. I prefer the trip along Hwy 30, it's just as scenic as the other route.