We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

Hi -- I am coming in to BWI on a Friday night and need to get down to Bethany Beach, DE the next day -- can anyone recommend or let me know how I can do that using public transportation (bus) or any other thoughts or ideas how I can get from point a to point b with paying an arm and a leg. Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
338 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

Wow. You have very limited options. You can take a bus from downtown Baltimore to Bethany Beach. I just pulled up a sample fare/schedule from the Greyhound wesite. It is $40.00 one way and takes (HUGE GASP) 15 hours to get there. You could probably walk it in that amount of time! Bethany Beach is a limited service stop. If you went to Rehoboth it would only take 4 hours 40 minutes on the sample fare/schedule for July for $38.00. To drive is <3hours.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

I would strongly consider renting a car. Not only would it be the quickest most convenient way to get to the Beach, you might want to have it available while you are there.

Baltimore, MD
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

Yeah, rent a car. Parking is free at Bethany Beach hotels and you will want the convenience to visit other beaches, pick up supplies and such.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

There really is no easy, inexpensive solution. I suspect you'd drive if you could and that's why you're posting. Here are a few more options, perhaps more civilized than the Greyhound:

Not exactly public transportation, but think about posting a rideshare request on Craigslist. Even if your ride can only get you to Ocean City or Rehoboth Beach, there's (local) bus transportation from both to Bethany Beach.

Amtrak from BWI to Wilmington, DE. From there, for $9.45 you can ride the local bus #305 to Rehoboth and then transfer to Bethany. Given the #305's schedule, you'll likely need to spend Friday night in a hotel, either around BWI or Wilmington.

Info on the local buses in Delaware:

http://www.dartfirststate.com/305/ (Wilmington-Rehoboth route)

http://www.dartfirststate.com/208/ (Rehoboth-Ocean City route)

Having someone pick you up in either Rehoboth or OC would be huge given the infrequency of the #208.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

I was just in OC this weekend and saw an ad for a shuttle service running from BWI to Salisbury, MD. The ad said it runs every two hours and is $55.

I think it was called Bayrunner shuttle.

Salisbury to Bethany Beach is not far....maybe 45 minutes.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

but how to get to bethany from salisbury?

that is ASTOUNDING that it could take so long to get from baltimore to bethany! when i get a chance, i'm going to have to look at that greyhound schedule to see where the heck they go in between! sounds like by way of west virginia or something! yikes!

Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

Hi -- thanks for all of your responses. I have friends that can pick me up closer to the beaches than closer to BWI -- I'll check into the Bayrunner Shuttle. I am just going for a quick trip for my friend's anniversary party and hate to spend a bunch of money on quick trips. I am going to Ireland in July and trying to save up for that. I looked into renting a car but would rather find less expensive route. I am a Craiglister and will post an ad on rideshare closer to my departure. Thanks all!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

I just looked up the bus on the Greyhound website. It takes 15 hours because after you arrive in Ocean City at 8:25 pm (which is about 3 hours after you leave Baltimore), you have to spend the night in OC before leaving for Bethany at 7:35 am the next day.

If you have friends that can pick you up in Ocean City, than this bus might work for you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
338 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

Yes, that is why I said Bethany is a Limited Service Stop.

Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from BWI airport to Delaware Beaches

Thanks all -- I ended up renting a car for $107 for Friday to Sunday night and it was fine but boy, the traffic gettting back to BWI Sunday night was horrible. The 2 hour trip ended up taking at least 5 hours (with just a few short stops at antique stores to stretch my legs). They definitely need to make more lanes for some of the highways but then the Bay Bridge can only accomdate 3 lanes (one of which was closed Sunday) each way. I had a nice trip though, Delaware is great (although beaches very crowded) and the BWI airport was very nice and light (not dark and dingy like DTW).