We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

Pittston
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

Im thinking of going to the Harbor next week with my wife (31 yrs old) and our 1 yr old daughterfor 2 nights. Is it worth it? Or will we be bored there?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

For 2 nights I don't think it's worth it. But were you going to visit the rest of Baltimore or just stay in the Inner Harbor?

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Inner Harbor
Inner Harbor
3,014 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Pittston
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

just planned on visiting the harbor

scw1605
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

My wife and I just returned from the Inner Harbor. We were there to see the Virgin Festival which was right outside of Baltimore. I would definetly not recommend it, especially for 2 nights. If you have a child a little older maybe for 1 night (hit the aqauriam one day the science center the next). The Inner Harbor is very small and not very cultured (museums, etc.) which might be nice to do with a sleeping baby. We only went for the virgin fest and will definetly not go back there on vacation.

The area is very shady at night. You have to stay right in the inner harbor to be safe. We stayed at the Renaissance and would not recommend even staying a couple blocks away (ie Tremont). We were actually told by the concierge not to walk two blocks away from the inner harbor to take the subway to the concert.

So for the atmosphere, activities, and price you can do better.

What about Boston. I am from nepa also and you can make it in under 5 hours (as opposed to 3.5 for Baltimore). The drive is easy (84 to the mass pike). I was just there a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it much more than baltimore. There is a lot more to do and the price is comprable. It is a lot safer also. Bid on priceline and you could definetly get a good hotel for around $100 a night. We were there for the day (my family is from upstate conn.) and went and walked around Harvard and did the Duck Tours and it was great.

But also check out the childrens' science museum and the heritage trail if you go. It is a great walking city and you do not have to worry about wondering into the wrong neighborhood. There are bad parts of boston but unlike baltimore it is not two blocks away from the nicest part.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
nem
United States
Level Contributor
328 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

I agree with the above poster. It is not worth the drive. Boston has so much more to offer a family with a young toddler. Also, the drive will not be that long of distance from your city. I use to live near Baltimore and I left for the same reasons that the above poster mentioned. My friends are the only reason why I return there to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

i have 2 and 4 year olds and live in this town and never get bored. you just didn't ask the right questions or get enough answers on where to go. we have a ton of museums and culture and lots of fun things to do with children.

as for the virgin festival = well that was at pimlico, one of the worst neighborhoods in the city - so no wonder.

nobody goes there except those of us who like to gamble on horses or risk our lives! LOL.

next time just ask and give more time so we can better guide you.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,187 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

"you just didn't ask the right questions or get enough answers on where to go. we have a ton of museums and culture and lots of fun things to do with children. "

Absolutely. I loved the post from the person who came into town for a rock concert in the roughest part of town, probably spent a total of 48 hours (if that) in the city and then says you "have to stay in the inner harbor to be safe". What a joke...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

you go irish fan!

hahaha

:)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

I kind of wish the last two posts were more specific on just what kinds of activities they might recommend. I, too, have heard some not so nice things about Baltimore and was hoping to find some helpful info like serinoma was looking for. Guess Baltimore will have to wait.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

There are tons of things to do

Aquarium

Science Center

Port Discovery

Duck Tours

Fort mc henry/water taxi tour

game at oriole park

african american cultural museum

pier 5 concert pavillion

i've taken my boys on the boats - they have a submarine, the uss constellation - an old slave ship, they LOVE going on these old boats and they are only 3 and 5.

paddle boats

ravens games

go to www.baltimore.org for more information.

we have a ton to do here for little ones.

also try these museums:

A. American Visionary Art Museum - www.avam.org - (410) 244-1900 - 32 reviews

B. Port Discovery Museum - www.portdiscovery.org - (410) 727-8120 - 53 reviews

C. Baltimore Museum of Industry - www.thebmi.org - (410) 727-4808 - 8 reviews

D. Museum & Library of Maryland History - www.mdhs.org - (410) 685-3750 - 3 reviews

E. Great Blacks In Wax Museum - www.ngbiwm.com - (410) 563-3404 - 14 reviews

F. National Museum of Dentistry - www.dentalmuseum.umaryland.edu - (410) 706-0600 - 6 reviews

G. Babe Ruth Museum - www.baberuthmuseum.com - (410) 727-1539 - 10 reviews

H. Baltimore Civil War Museum - www.mdhs.org - (410) 385-5188 - 4 reviews

I. Homewood House Museum - www.jhu.edu - (410) 516-5589 - 4 reviews

J. Baltimore Maritime Museum - www.baltomaritimemuseum.org - (410) 396-3453 - 4 reviews

or try

baltimore.org/arts-and-culture/baltimore-mus…

Mentioned in this post
Maryland Science Center
Maryland Science Center
683 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Oriole Park at Camden...
4,489 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
American Visionary Art Museum
American Visionary Art...
1,421 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore Museum of Industry
Baltimore Museum of...
251 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Great Blacks in Wax Museum
Great Blacks in Wax...
124 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inner Harbor with my wife and 1 yr old?

I couldn't have received a better response if I asked a tour guide! Excellent! Thank you, Joeybagz312 for all the options...the city of Baltimore needs to hire you--fast! :)

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland