We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Move to Baltimore

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
53 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Possible Move to Baltimore

Hello all! Husband and I may be moving this summer, and Baltimore (Johns Hopkins) is one of our options. Can you direct me to some good sites to visit for research? And what is your honest opinion of living there? Obviously, we're used to a lower cost of living in TX, so that will be a big deciding factor. We have two dogs, and would really like a house, but I think it might be too expensive. Also, what's the "culture" like, in terms of restaurants, theatre, etc.?

Any advice/information is very welcome! Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

Hi there -

I lived in B-more and have lots of family there - it is a wonderful city and very up and coming in terms of cultural activities/shopping/restaurants. There are several good theaters, ranging from the Morris Mechanic which has broadway type stuff and the Lyric which is for the symphony and opera to Center Stage to the Theater Project, which has more edgy/artsy work plus a whole range of community theaters. There are several good art museums (the Walters, the Baltimore Museum of Art and the Visionary Art Museum) and lots of restaurant choices.

Some good neighborhoods that include a nice mix of residential with commercial restaurants/shops/etc include the following (most of these probably have their own websites - I would just google):

1) Federal Hill or Fells Point- both of these areas have both gotten pretty pricey, but if you can swing it, they are great parts of town. Locust Point is the next neighborhood over from Federal Hill and is probably much more reasonable that Federal Hill itself.

2) Hamden - used to be a very affordable neighborhood, has a great central strip with lots of cute restaurants, shops, etc. Definitely has gone up in value, as has the whole city, but it's still probably more reasonable than option #1.

3) Patterson Park - an up and coming neighborhood, still transitional in some areas, but lots of families moving in. Nice to be by the park for the dogs. Patterson Park borders Fells Point and has been the center of a lot of the Latino community growth in the past 5-10 years in the city.

4) Canton neighborhood - has an adorable central square with restaurants and shops.

5) Charles Village - near Hopkins, lots of growth recently in that area with the building of stores like Barnes and Nobles.

Good luck - it's really a great place to live. I got married there recently so spent a lot of time in the city looking at venues, restaurants, etc and was reminded of how much I miss it.

DCM

Mentioned in this post
Center Stage
Center Stage
96 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore Museum of Art
Baltimore Museum of Art
712 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Federal Hill Park
Federal Hill Park
498 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Fell's Point
Fell's Point
2,464 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
130 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

This site might help you:

http://www.livebaltimore.com/home/

DCMenina gives a good summary of Baltimore neighborhoods.

You don't say whether you mean the Hopkins university or hospital/medical school campuses. Charles Village and Hampden are close to the Homewood campus; Fells Point is probably the closest good area near the hospital.

Hampden and CV are more expensive than they used to be, but they're still cheaper than the other areas DC mentioned; and Locust Point is no longer a reasonable alternative to Federal Hill. The prices are pretty similar in both areas now. I don't know how the cost of living in Baltimore compares to Texas, but I'd say it's still much cheaper than places like DC, NYC, Boston, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Hampden
Hampden
189 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Fell's Point
Fell's Point
2,464 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Federal Hill Park
Federal Hill Park
498 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Texas
Texas
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
130 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

Just wanted to add that the houses in the neighborhoods mentioned so far are mostly rowhouses. If you're looking for a detached house you'd need to go a bit farther out, e.g., Mt. Washington, Cedarcroft, Lauraville, Roland Park. You can get an idea of the housing stock and other things on Live Baltimore.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Baltimore
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

The Live Baltimore site is designed for people like you. And their helpful staff will be happy to answer any questions. If you're looking near the Hopkins medical campus and don't have young children (public schools definitely leave something to be desired and there aren't really "yards"), Canton is a great options. Loads of young professionals have gentrified the neighborhood, which borders Patterson Park and has great restaurants, bars and convenient shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Owings Mills, MD
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

Have you considered Baltimore County? You can get more land in a safer area for the dogs. Something like Essex or Dundalk would be more affordable, albeit unapologetically blue collar and would be convenient to the Hopkins Bayview/ Downtown campuses, but less so to the Homewood campus. The most important thing is to really research the area you are considering as Baltimore neighborhoods can quickly change from safe to unsafe and back. A good real estate agent should be able to help with this.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Baltimore
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

I just wanted to add a bit to all the great information listed above. In terms of culture, Baltimore is a hidden gem. Both the Walters Art Museum and the Baltimore Museum of Art now offer permanent free admission. Some special exhibits are still ticketed but the permanet collections are free all the time. There are also two museums dedicated to more contemporary art including the Contemporary Museum and the American Visionary Art Musuem.

Great stage shows can be seen at the Hippodrome Theatre, CENTERSTAGE, and the Everyman Theatre. If music is more your fancy, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra or Baltimore Opera Company might be more your scene. Every year, the city hosts a huge, free outdoor arts festvial called ARTSCAPE in Mount Vernon that you might also enjoy.

There are a number of annual events that you can learn more about by visiting www.bop.org. The city also now features 2 Restaurant Weeks ( Winter and Summer) and many, locally owned restaurants you wouldn't necessarily expect to find. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
The Walters Art Museum
The Walters Art Museum
1,281 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore Museum of Art
Baltimore Museum of Art
712 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Hippodrome Theatre
Hippodrome Theatre
217 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
332 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

If you consider moving to Harford County, you might want to do it soon. In the next 3 years a BRAC expansion of Aberdeen Proving Ground is going to make our area overflowing with new residents. What is happening is that a NJ base is closing and they are moving everyone down to Aberdeen. This includes civilians who work with the government. Harford County has a few condensed areas, but is mostly farmland and horse breeding farms. You might enjoy watching the Preakness in person, but I normally just watch it on tv.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

Not only will Harford County be effected by the BRAC move, so will Anne Arundel and Howard County due to the expansion at Fort Meade.

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
332 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

Ridge,

Thanks for mentioning that. I think TexasGirl should know where to avoid.

10. Re: Possible Move to Baltimore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 07:20