We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to DC

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to DC

We will be staying in Baltimore for a week in August. We will be staying in the Locust Point area. We would like to take a day trip to DC and will have a car but not sure if we want to drive or not.We have Sunday, Thurs and Friday open for our choices to go. Have searched the forums and seems the traffic is not too bad driving in on the weekends. Would that be our best bet and if so where do we park?? Or would we be better taking the what is it called Metro from Penn. Station to Union Station. Thanks for you help. Sally

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
745 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to DC

August = hot, and sometimes REALLY hot. I would recommend taking a bus tour if you want to see the monuments. You can't drive to them anymore (after 9/11) and the washington metro doesn't get that close to many of them. Although DC was recently voted one of the most walkable cities, that isn't necessarily true in August. We took guests to visit DC last August - the thermometer in my car registered 105 -- we could barely stand to walk between water stops - and you can't carry your own water because they will not let you into any of the museaums or the capital with water. We spent the day looking for places to buy water. Would have been much better to take an air conditioned tour - it leaves from Union Station - so easy. Take the train, but check the schedules for Sunday service.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
745 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to DC

If you decide you want to drive into DC, it is not too bad on the weekends, and parking really isn't a big deal. There are lots of parking garages, as well an on street parking. I've never worried about parking. I would try to find a garage close to the mall - You can google search PMI parking in DC and they have a map of parking garages. There is also a big garage in Union Station.

Where in Locust Point are your staying?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to DC

We rented a house for the week on Towson Street.Love the idea of the water taxi, can't wait.Any local restaurants that we should check out?

We are going to the ball games, Mon,Tues,and Wed nights. Want to go to Fort Mc Henry and also spend some time going on the ships. My husband was in the navy and we may take another day trip to Annapolis. The week will fly by fast.

Have not been to DC in 20 years but one of the highlights for me was the FBI building and also the Mint. Are they still open to the public.

Thanks for the tip on the tour. Never thought of the August heat, we do like to walk so just thought we would do that. I will listen to the expert,thanks. Sally

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to DC

I suggest driving down on a Sunday morning from Baltimore. No traffic, more parking should be available on the streets.

Another option could be taking the Amtrak from there to Union Station but as stated before it's August and it's hot, hazy, and humid. You would be doing a lot of walking in between sites and eventhough you can cool off in one of the museums, it's nothing like being able to relax in your own car when needed and being able to go and come as you please.

Weekdays would be a bad idea to drive. Not knowing how bad traffic will be and parking is scarce. Saturdays are a little more busy than Sundays but it's another option as well.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
745 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to DC

I hope you enjoy your stay here. I checked the US Mint website - they offer tours of some of their facilities, but not the one in DC. Not sure about the FBI building - I've never been. The spy museum gets great reviews. Annapolis is a fun day, and the Naval Academy grounds are beautiful. As far as local restaurants, - if you want real local flavor - I love Samos (www.samosrestaurant.com) It's in "greektown" - off the beaten path, for sure - but honestly one of the best meals I've eaten. Tiny place, they don't take reservations and you have to wait for a table - even at 3:00 in the afternoon - but you can bring your own wine and beer, if you want - a neighborhood place, you can go in jeans, if you want. Get directions from MapQuest - If you want something a little less quirky, I also like the Black Olive in Fell's Point, and for a really over the top experience - Charleston ($$$$$) - Depends on your budget.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,606 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to DC

"Have not been to DC in 20 years but one of the highlights for me was the FBI building and also the Mint. Are they still open to the public."

Washington doesn't have a Mint, which is where coins are made. They have the Bureau of Engraving and Printing(BEP), where they make currency. (Not being picky, it just makes a huge difference if you're looking for information on line)

The FBI no longer does tours, the BEP does. You can get info at their website:

www.bep.treas.gov/locations/index.cfm/3

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,823 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to DC

You'll be driving at some point from Locust Point so I recommend you drive to the nearest DC subway stop and take that into the city. Driving into DC can be a pain with traffic and the parking is expensive. Plus, the metro will allow you to move around town whereas parking at one location will mean you're stuck walking.

And good luck in DC in August. It's deathly hot and humid.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to DC

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I love trip advisor and really have gotten some great advice over the past so believe me, I will listen to what you have to say.

We found the parrots of telegraph hill in San Francisco from trip advisor. Everyone was saying the parrots aren't out today and I said to my husband, this isn't where they said to find them so off we go and there they were. So beautiful.

Will definately try Samos restaurant. We ate at Mrs. Wilk's boarding house in Savanah from a suggestion. It was great.

August was not my ideal time to go but that is when the Red Soxes are playing and we are going on a family vacation. Both my girls are huge baseball fans. I am too I guess but the roof top deck at the house seems very inviting.

thanks again, sally

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to DC

Thought I would point out that for the most part, the weather you get in Baltimore will probably mirror what it is going to be like in D.C. that day. You may be able to make your decision closer to the day you actually go.

Another thing to think about-and this is true for Baltimore as well as D.C.-this area is notorious for ugly pop-up thunderstorms in the summertime. They can be an almost daily occurrence as humid air builds up between the Appalachian mountains and the coast. These storms have even been known to put down tornadoes. Last summer, they had to evacuate the Mall before the 4th of July fireworks due to horrible storms that came through.

This said, if you are planning on doing any outdoor activities that involve a lot of walking-be it D.C. or Balmer, suggest you keep a close eye on the weather. Plan for indoor activities after 2:00 and you should be fine.

10. Re: day trip to DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Baltimore