We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating crabs

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eating crabs

I will be traveling to Baltimore on 5/30.

My wife heard of a resturant where they serve crabs and you open the crabs yourself by either banging them on the table, or opening them with a hammer.

Has anyone heard of this resturant?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,696 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating crabs

"My wife heard of a resturant where they serve crabs and you open the crabs yourself by either banging them on the table, or opening them with a hammer.

Has anyone heard of this resturant?"

There are probably 100 restaurants in the Baltimore area that fit this description - this is how crabs are eaten here. :)

(Well, not getting into the whole "a knife is better than a mallet" thing that I subscribe to lol)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating crabs

I would search the forum, or re-post with the question of "what is the best pick your own crabs rest. in Baltimore".

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating crabs

Might be the funniest post ever or your just dumb. My guess is you never ate crabs before or that you had snow crab legs. Maryland crabs are different and take a different technique to open. Some people will bang them off the table to crack the shell I usually use a knive to open them. This resturant is any that serves hard shell crabs.

Thanks for the chuckle..

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,696 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating crabs

"Might be the funniest post ever or your just dumb."

Nice. Especially the use of "your", just to show that YOU ain't no dummy, right? You've had some book learnin' !

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating crabs

not to mention "a knive"??? what the heck is a "knive"?

louie, pay no attention to tfunky on this. the others are right, there are MANY places to go for crabs eaten in the manner you describe..

i'll have to leave it to someone else to tell you the best ones,though....

on this matter i take after my father. he didn't care to pick crabs & neither do i.

Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating crabs

Thanks for the replies,

Of course, I just realized that, that is the typical way that hard shell crabs are eaten!

I will have a talk with my wife!

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating crabs

Okay, I admit I'm not the best at English writing but how to eat crabs I have some experience at.

"MANY" places DOGMOM to eat crabs in this manner huh. How about all that serve them, since you are usually given a hammer and a knife.

DOGMOM you said "on this matter i take after my father. he didn't care to pick crabs & neither do i"

Stick to the topics you do like, like shopping in Delaware.

Sorry Louie, I guess I came off a little rude. Any place that serve you hardshell crabs will supply you with a hammer/mallet and you go about anyway you wish to open the crabs to eat. You can bang it on the ceiling if you wish ot just the table.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating crabs

There are hundreds of places to eat crabs in Baltimore, but perhaps the most famous is Obrycki's.

If you're OK driving out of Baltimore to get crabs, I highly recommend Costa's Inn in the Dundalk/Essex/Sparrow's Point area.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating crabs

Thanks Louie ,

I got my English lessons for the year..

anyone ever hear of "NO QUESTION IS A DUMB QUESTION"

Crabs r tricky things to take apart..some places have placemats w/directions.

Look up on-line , maybe someone has a video made( cha-ching-my project for the summer)..

Just watch the shells, Sharp, don't eat the grayish triangle parts about 2-3" long(the 'devil') ,and try the yellow stuff (mustard)..

Also if u get a small shell in a chunk of meat while eating, I have no prob. doing a quick 'pppssssttt'= out of mouth...

know yew have yer Histiry lessin..frm Bal-more

"Da Sity dat REEDS"

can I give a shout-out to Monk,Ty,Bubbles...luv u all

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating crabs

Just to add, I find that the utensils just slow you down. I am one that cracks them with my hands or a table and my teeth for the claws. The easiest way to open is pull the flap on the backside up, an pull a part from the opening. BAM all of your meat right there. then pull the claws off the sides and crack the claws with your back teeth. I wouldn't recommend this for people who may have fillings or other things in their mouths. And don't put too much seasoning on the crabs as your lips get too numb from the salt and you can't enjoy them anymore.I could probably go through about 1 dozen crabs in about 45 minutes. And the worse looking the place is the better they will probably be. The fancier ones probably aren't giving you your money's worth.