We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenn Burnie Station

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Glenn Burnie Station

Is it OK to leave your car overnight when using the Light Rail? IE: Do they permit that, and is it safe?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
229 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

It's permissible, but about as "safe" as any other public parking lot I suppose.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

Thanks, R.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

You know, ferd, I wasn't too sure how to respond to your post, but I think the previous poster got the point across. Then I thought of another option. There's lots of secure parking at the airport, which is only one stop away on light rail. Have you considered that? I know it's more expensive to park there, but I would leave my car overnight in a light rail parking lot no matter how nice the neighborhood. Nice neighborhoods don't always look the same after about 11:00 pm. I did it once and returned to find my window busted, and my glove box empty. There wasn't anything in there worth taking, but it sure was a hassle getting the window fixed.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
698 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

Oops - need to edit the prior post - WOULDN"T leave my car. . . sorry.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

Maybe I should back up a bit.

We prefer not to be at The Beach on holidays; this year we're spending Memorial Day weekend at the Inner Harbor (tix for Larry the Cable Guy, etc.). I was hoping to find a viable option to the cost of parking at the hotel ($21/day) or in the public lots ($12/day???) around Inner Harbor.

$5.00 or less (one of us is a senior) for Light Rail tix looked like an attractive option, and we wouldn't have to drive into the city; but if the car gets broken into, maybe not! We usually travel in on 50/97.

Any thoughts?

AND thank you both for your help.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,270 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

I like the thought of parking at the airport, I think that would be a better option for you. You can still take light rail.

If you use one of the off-site lots like preflght or similar you can often find coupons on the web for $6 - $7 a day to park at the airport, they will shuttle you to the terminal where you can get on light rail for downtown.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

WOW! A Donegal expert - I spent a week playing seven golf courses in County Donegal in 2001, and I dearly loved it there.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do some surfing on that.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

What hotel are you staying at? I know some hotels in the Inner Harbor offer free parking...or did a few years ago when I stayed the night.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

I'm not sure yet, I've been watching a 3 star at Hotwire ($65). Our last stay was the Intercontinental 10/08, booked through Hotwire; we parked in the attached public parking building and it was on the order of $17 per night.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glenn Burnie Station

Preflight is $6.65 + $0.60 tax = $7.25/day (Thnks for the tip on coupons!). Light Rail leaves from Terminal E, and there's a free shuttle to get there. Looks like it saves $25 or so as compared to the parking buildings around Inner Harbor, and we won't have to drive into the city. Let's see...$25...do we spend it on parking...or do we step up for a better restaurant one night???