We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HS trip ideas

Buffalo
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HS trip ideas

I am a HS band director in NY state and will be bringing my band to Baltimore for next spring. Can anyone tell me if the Lexington Market is a safe place to unleash 80 HS students for an hour or two? Was hoping it would be a good opportunity for them to eat lunch (many choices, including seafood) and shop. Some of the reviews of the place make me wonder....is it as seedy as some reviewers claim? What's there?

Thanks for the any info!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,672 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HS trip ideas

http://www.lexingtonmarket.com/

I don't consider it "seedy", but if I had 80 high school kids to keep half an eye on, I'd go with the Inner Harbor instead. There is no "shopping" at Lexington Market except for whatever the kids want for lunch. Unless they want to lug a ham home on the bus or something. :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HS trip ideas

I would suggest Inner Harbor or Fells point. I was recently at the IH and many of the food stalls are closed. Recession hits everywhere.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
819 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HS trip ideas

The harborplace has a food court and a lot of casual restaurants that should make everyone happy. definitely wouldn't recommend the lexington market in your situation.

http://www.harborplace.com/html/

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HS trip ideas

Irish Fan, how many years has it been since you were at the Lexington Market? I recently stayed several weeks at the nearby Ronald McDonald House, and the market is definitely seedy and full of low-lifes -- nothing like it was a generation ago. Although the immediate neighborhood has office buildings and hospitals, I never saw any of those type people in my many visits to the market -- only very low-lifes.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,672 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HS trip ideas

"Irish Fan, how many years has it been since you were at the Lexington Market?"

Why would you think it was "years" since I was at the market? I go there fairly regularly, it's probably been a whole 60 days or so since my last visit..never felt threatened or had any problems there and I've been going there since the 1980's.

Buffalo
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: HS trip ideas

We've got the Inner Harbor on the schedule, including stops at the aquarium and Hard Rock Cafe (personally, I hate the food there, but the kids seem to like it and always ask to visit a HR Cafe on every band trip we take.)

I was hoping to avoid yet another "mall food court-type place" and find something a bit more unique with many choices, including some good Maryland seafood. From the sounds of things, the prevailing wisdom is that we avoid Lexington Market....

Anything in Baltimore similar to Boston's Faneuil Hall?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HS trip ideas

There is nothing "like" Fanuil Hall in Baltimore, although the Inner Harbor pretends to be. Sorry, locals, just the truth. There is an ESPN Zone as a small change of pace from Hard Rock. You could let the kids loose in Fells Point for a real baltimore experience. There are pizza places, ice cream, burger joints, crab cakes etc.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HS trip ideas

The area is typical inner city. I go to Lexington Market at least once a week as do many of my co-workers from nearby University of MD Medical Center. I think it is insulting to the many customers and nearby residenta to call them "low lifes". Would I walk up there at 12M- no.That is true most anywhere. But I have never felt unsafe walking up there. I take all my out of town relatives there and they appreciate the diversity of people and food. The problem for ASP17 from Buffalo is that he has 80 kids to watch - a daunting task anywhere. It would be a fun time for them- some of the sights are a hoot! But good food for sure. If you had lots of charperones and could split up with with just 5-6kids per adult it would be workable. There are lots of tables upstairs. You could kill an hour there for lunch. You are right the IH is very generic but for that many it may be hard to find a place with enough space.

Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HS trip ideas

I would not take 80 HS students to Lexington Market. Not because its seedy, sketchy, dangerous but because it's all FOOD. They eat lunch and then what? True, the market does have diverse food but teenagers will eat pizza, that's it, just pizza. They don't care about other kinds of food.

The Inner Harbor is probably the best place to go. They can walk to Federal Hill, walk east to the Katyn Memorial, see the Constellation, the Science Center (a bit boring perhaps) or just walk around the promenade.

I don't think Fells Point is a good choice either. It's small and filled with bars. The few shopping stores have things that wouldn't interest high school age children.

My vote is for the Inner Harbor.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
134 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HS trip ideas

What about the Cross Street Market in Federal Hill?

Also, I'll second the recommendation for Fells Point. Lots of options there.