We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

Ann Arbor, MI
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

So I'm sure some variant of this question has been asked a ton of times before, but here goes: I am in DC for the weekend with my son. We've got hold of tickets to a Saturday evening Orioles game and will come up on the Amtrak. We could spend the whole afternoon in Baltimore up to the game which is at 7:05 if I could work out how to occupy him.

So...thoughts? We haven't been to Baltimore before. I bet I could talk him into some crabs, and I'd love to see the harbor and Fells Point but I can't get away with anything girly. There's no point in anything franchisey like ESPNzone, we can do that anywhere.

Also, how much of a hassle is it going to be to get back to Penn Station after a late game? I figure there's a bus (but it will be jammed), a taxi line (impossibly long, right?). What's my best bet? How much time should I leave to get to the station?

Thanks

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

well...just an idea, don't know if he'd like this or not...

but there are two very nice museums right at camden yards.

"sports legends" (totally oriented toward maryland teams, though)

and the geppi's entertainment museum, which i found REALLY interesting. toys, books, comics, movie posters, etc. dating back to the 1800's & up to the present.

both of these are in the old train station building.

http://www.baberuthmuseum.com/history/slmacy/

http://www.geppismuseum.com/

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

oh, and i'd forgotten this! admission to the geppi is only $1 on game days.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

I am assuming that you have checked out the train schedule so you know that you can catch an 11pm or later train. The trip to the train station is easy from ballpark. Should be plenty of cabs around with all the hotels, etc. I would not suggest taking the light rail as it would be a much longer trip as it stops at all the lights in the city even though it goes to Penn Sta.

How old is your teen as that can make a difference. The Aquarium is great as is the B&O train museum which is different than those already mentioned. It is a real gem if you like old trains.

There are duck tours, other sailing/boating tours as well to keep you entertained.

Maryland
Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

The water taxi is a great and inexpensive way to see the whole Harbor area and stop off in Fells Point for lunch. The MD Science Center is in the Inner Harbor (I haven't been there in a number of years so don't know how teen friendly it is but they have an IMAX.) There are paddle boats too in the Inner Harbor.

Ann Arbor, MI
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

15 - so it's hard to find stuff that's not babyish. And certain venues are inherently embarassing to go to with your MOM....actually ALL venues count as this, except sporting ones; and he'll swallow his pride for good food ;-)

We went on a Segway tour when we went to Chicago and that worked out well too, but I don't fancy it as a way to see historic neighborhoods.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

The Science Center is always interesting and it has the IMAX.

We have never been on the Duck Tour but it looks like a hoot (just tell your son he will never see these people again).

Its also fun to get something to eat at the harbor and just people watch.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

i agree, sports legends is very different.

i think you get a discount if u show your o's ticket.

you can also do the science center, i agree with that. it's a fun place for all ages.

just walking along the harbor is fun. you can tour the uss constellation or old ships, a submarine. it depends what your child is into.

8. Re: What to do with my teen before the Orioles game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Baltimore