We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

Knoxville, Tennessee
2 posts
Save Topic
Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

Stay at home mom looking for cheap way to get family of 3 to baltimore and then visit DC. Where can we stay outside of town that is perhaps less expensive and still be able to get around Baltimore and DC. Drove into DC from Baltimore years ago. Have 17 year old wants to see everything. Looking at Christmas around 17th.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

Maybe look at Hotwire for places by BWI for a reasonablly easy commute into Baltimore.

Not sure if I would recommend that for DC but if you drive in after rush hour and park at Union Station for around $20 (or subway in via Greenbelt - check to see if they typically have parking available) it might work.

Otherwise, go to the DC forum for DC ideas..

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

I would stay in DC or surrounding area for the entire trip and take a day to visit Baltimore, as all the major sights are in DC. I also suggest you posting in the DC forum for help in that city, but I would also recommend staying in downtown DC since the areas around the city won't be much cheaper, and then you won't have to worry about getting downtown all the time.

When driving into Baltimore, you can park for free at the light rail and take the train into the city for $1.60 each way instead of paying to park at a city garage for $10-20. However, with kids or more than 3 people it might make more sense to drive into the city and park anyway.

As for cheap eats -- I recommend Ben's Chili Bowl in DC and Faidley's in Baltimore.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
52 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

Try to get into the Hampton Inn - 131 East Redwood Street, Baltimore, Maryland, USA 21202-1225

It's a great location just across the street from the stadiums, and about a 5 minute walk from the light rail.

They are reasonably priced, and the hotel is only about 3 years old.

Inner Harbor is about 3-4 blocks east down Pratt Street.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

For economical budget lodging, I often see recommended on this forum, the Red Roof Inn and the Harrington Hotel. These two are both very centrally located in downtown Washington DC, adjacent to museums, restaurants, and metrorail. Even cheaper than them, is the large, ashington International Youth Hostel.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 04:12
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,797 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

"Try to get into the Hampton Inn - 131 East Redwood Street, Baltimore, Maryland, USA 21202-1225

It's a great location just across the street from the stadiums, and about a 5 minute walk from the light rail. "

There are two Hampton Inns in downtown Baltimore. The street address above on Redwood Street is for the "Hampton Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor". The description of "right across the street from the stadiums" is for the "Hampton Inn Camden Yards", on Washington Blvd.

They're both decent properties, just at opposite ends of the downtown area.

Knoxville, Tennessee
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

Thank you all, I will check out your recommendations..

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
817 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

Honestly, you're not going to save that much staying outside of baltimore. Try bidding 80 or less for "inner harbor" on priceline. I also did a quick search on hotwire for your dates and there is a 3-star available downtown for 59 and a 4-star for 89.

It will be a hassle commuting from the county every day on your short trip.

Have fun!

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

The Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria is offering an $89/night deal. It could provide you with ample room, an indoor pool and a free shuttle to nearby places including the metro stop. It is outside DC proper, but Alexandria is a great place in its own right, historic, lots of shops and great restaurants.

9. Re: Penny Pinching Baltimore/DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 05:15