We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel between Baltimore and DC

michigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
travel between Baltimore and DC

My husband and I will be taking our 10 year old grandson to a Tiger/Oriole game in August. thinking about arriving in DC on Thursday afternoon, doing the tourist thing in DC on Thurs. afternoon and Fri. then traveling to Baltimore for a game on Sat night. We will be traveling by car and wonder how the Baltimore traffic is on a Sat night. We would like o drive out of the city about an hour o shorten the drive on Sunday back to MI. Open to any suggestions. Would it be better to say outside of Baltimore and take metro/light rail into game? should we stay in Baltimore and take a train to DC and back. should we stay in DC and travel back to DC after the game? Really and advice or suggestions are welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Oriole Park at Camden...
4,452 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel between Baltimore and DC

Well if you are that flexible then I would consider these issues when deciding:

-Local commuter trains (Marc Penn Line) between Baltimore and DC do not run on weekends. Amtrak does, but these are long distance trains so they are more expensive and not as frequent.

-Budget. If this is an issue, I would probably see what best deals I could get in either city. Travelzoo is a great vacation site as it lists the most current bargains that hotels are offering. If you visit this site - go to the Washington DC link and it will also list Baltimore properties.

-I would stay in one city or the other and avoid staying outside of the city limits. This just adds more travel, it isn't that convenient and doesn't give you the full experience If it is really hot, or you get tired during the day, at least you can pop back into your hotel for a brief rest or cool down. Hard to do if you are in the burbs.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel between Baltimore and DC

Traffic is not horrible. Don't have a map in front of me but if you take 70 west home then Frederick is about an hour and there are many .mid price chains there.

Mentioned in this post
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel between Baltimore and DC

Drive to the stadium. Parking is $10.

Take I-95 to 395 and take the MLK Blvd exit. Then take the first exit on your right as you are coming up the ramp. It'll put you at the end of the warehouse and the entrance to the stadium parking will be on your right. It's very easy to get in and out of, as the O's games don't draw well anymore.

Traffic won't be bad at all on a Saturday night. Then do what the above poster said and drive to Frederick for the night and get an early start the next morning.

Mentioned in this post
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
4. Re: travel between Baltimore and DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 18:17