We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

In mid-November 2011 the whole family (6 people - with suitcases!) will need transportation from BWI to Frederick, Maryland. What would be the best/cheapest way? We only need to get to Frederick - no specific address. I've seen "AMTRAK to DC, then MARC to Frederick" but it takes a L-O-N-G time.

Mentioned in this post
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

Best and cheapest will be opposite. Best will be a car service. Cheapest will be what you described unless there is a bus that goes to Frederick.

Mentioned in this post
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

http://www.bayrunners.com/

BayRunner Shuttle will drop you off at the Frederick Airport, which is located just outside of town. A short and cheap taxi ride will get you where you need to go in town.

You still might be better off renting a car though.

Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
700 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

Another option, though probably not the "best", would be the Greyhound Bus to Frederick.

Mentioned in this post
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
Baltimore
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

Mirage 52 has the best bet I think. Here's the breakdown of shuttle times and rates.

bayrunnershuttle.com/west/rates_schedules.asp

I would definitely not do the marc train, as it is going to take you a forever to make a trip that should only take about an hour from BWI.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

andyman and others are right - do not take MARC. It should be noted that MARC is a commuter railway and, for the Frederick line, is inbound (to DC) only in the AM and outbound only in the PM.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

Multiplied by six passengers, any service that charges you per person becomes far less attractive compared to the quick and comfortable options. With six passengers, this is a case where I'd suck it up and hop into a minivan/sport ute taxi or car service for ~$125 and get to Frederick comfortably in an hour.

If you need to do public transit, the quickest/best way is to take the MTA bus #201 to Shady Grove @ $5 pp (runs seven days/week). From Shady Grove, it's about a $50 taxi fare to Frederick.

http://www.mtaiccbus.com

Mentioned in this post
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
545 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

Another option is Zipcar. We have an account for our daughter at college in Richmond, VA (she only needs a car occasionally). We added ourselves when we needed to get to the the train station for our recent trip to FL. Zipcar is in Atlanta, and they've got cars in Frederick at Hood College. One way. You only pay for the time you need the car.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
545 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

OOOPS! Zipcar isn't "one way" - I forgot my hubby picked up the car at Penn Station and drove home, where we loaded up for the return to the train stations and our Amtrak departure.

9. Re: Best way from BWI to Frederick Md?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 05:18