We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan our itinerary?

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
331 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan our itinerary?

Hubby (43) and I (42) and flying into Baltimore to explore 8/23 – 8/26. We are staying at either the Residence Inn or the Renaissance (Marriott points) We would love some itinerary help! We are “foodies” to the extent that we love good food, wine and drinks and don’t mind paying for it. Our caveat? We don’t like stuffy. We don’t mind “trendy” but we won’t visit a place simply because it is trendy. It must also be good. We don’t want nightclubs, but wouldn’t mind bars, pubs or taverns with music. We like to find out-of-the way but memorable places. You know, the places to where you take your out-of-town guests. While I don’t mind getting dressed up, hubby does not want to be required to wear a jacket and tie. Here is what we have so far, please chime in.

Arrival: Thursday, Aug, 23rd. Check into hotel.

Thursday afternoon?

Thursday evening: We presently have reservations for Charleston. I have read the reviews, celebrity chef, great food, yadda yadda. Is it really worth it? Will I walk away saying “OMG” or “ehhhh?” We would probably look to do the 4 courses with wine. For that price we could probably dine twice anywhere else. What do you think? Alternate suggestions for our “special” dinner?

Friday am/afternoon – was thinking about touring the Maritime Museum and the ships. We do like to do a bit of sightseeing.

Friday evening – we have tickets to a ball game. Any advice about what to do pre-game? A good bar?

Saturday – Not a clue as to what to do!! Was thinking about fashioning our own bar/food tour of Fells Point. Thoughts?

Saturday happy hour – B & O for their cool drinks?

Saturday dinner – wide open! I was thinking seafood. We can’t rightly come to Baltimore and not have crabs right? I saw one of the destination experts recommend Canton Dockside. Any others? We would like to stay relatively casual for Saturday night (especially if we do Charleston on Thursday)

Sunday – plane leaves at 3. Good place for a late breakfast/lunch around our hotel area?

Thanks!

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

In my opinion, Charleston is the exact opposite of what you said you were looking for and hoping to avoid. It's a great restaurant and consistently ranked no. 1 in Baltimore, but it could be called "stuffy" or "trendy" depending on the person. It's definitely way upscale and expensive, which could lead to some disappointment if you are not completely blown away. I think you may feel out of place there without a suit jacket.

I'd recommend Woodberry Kitchen instead....more casual but still great food and ranked high as well. Expensive, but not close to Charleston expensive.

Your itinerary sounds pretty good...while in Fells Point, check out Thames Street Oyster House, Riptide on the Bay, and the other places on Restaurant Row...I can say Thames St Oyster has an amazing lobster roll that is not that expensive. if you like crazy hot dogs, check out Stuggy's. Rye is a cool spot too, and right next door to Stuggy's.

I think Canton Dockside would be a good place for crabs. LP Steamers is more of a down home Bmore crab house, so consider that as well.

I'd also recommend Tiki Barge for some cool water views of the industrial side of the harbor...it closes earlier than most bars, though, so go for sunset.

Definitely catch a game if you can. Get some beers at Pickles before or after. Alewife would be a good post-game drinking/eating spot.

Miss Shirley's for breakfast, or Blue Moon Cafe if the lines aren't too long....yeah right!

I'll post more when I can think straight -- and I am sure others will too!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
331 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Mirage - this is excatly the kind of advice I am looking for! I am going to check out Woodberry Kitchen. Thanks!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Citizens Kane will be screening outside at the American Visionary Art Museum with free admission to boot on Thursday night.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
331 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Oh neat! Thanks!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
650 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Ditto on Charleston- plus you will leave hungry:) Seems like expensive and trendy also means portions for a 5 yo! Regis is supposed to reopen after their fire- I love their food. Located in Federal Hill. Good drinks too! Super casual [ and even thats a stretch :) ] for good crabs and seafood is LP Steamers in Locust Point. Pratt St Ale House near stadium for some before/after game beers and food. Pickles is also a good neighborhood bar and it will be full on game day. Also Nicks Fish House on Insulator Drive below the Hanover St bridge is very fun and has good crabs. Call ahead or go early- gets crowded on Saturday. Also outdoor movie- bring your own chair or blanket in Little Italy every Friday- When In Rome is playing 8/24 pm. That's fun !Hope this helps.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
331 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Great help, thanks! I cancelled our reservations for Charleston and made reservations at Woodberry Kitchen instead for Thursday. Friday we plan on visiting Ft. McHenry and lunching at LP Steamers. I LOVE the idea of an outdoor movie!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Salt, black olive, blue hill tavern, all places worth checking out. Each he's a fairly unique menu.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
331 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Thanks neslaw. We are really looking forward to our trip.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
242 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Kettle Hill is on restaurant row which Mirage mentioned. We just went there on Sunday for brunch and loved it. Definately some unique (but tasty) items. We are already talking about returning for a dinner

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
331 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan our itinerary?

Thanks Hazeleyez!