We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over for Baltimore for a wedding but want to chill out at a...

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Over for Baltimore for a wedding but want to chill out at a...

My boyfriend and I are over for a wedding in Baltimore in June. We are going horse racing in Colonial Downs in Virginia on the Sunday. We have five days to head off to somewhere. We want to head to some beach resort with loads of walking, water activities and nice restaurants. Friends have suggested Virginia Beach, Outerbanks and Myrtle Beach. Our plan is to drive to the beach from Richmond on the Sunday and then head back to Baltimore for our flight home. Can anyone provide any recommendations?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over for Baltimore for a wedding but want to chill out at a...

The only beach that Maryland has is Ocean City, which might be more driving than you want to do from Richmond.

I'd probably go with Virginia Beach from there.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
652 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Over for Baltimore for a wedding but want to chill out at a...

If you go further south to the Outer Banks or Myrtle Beach you will have quite a ride back to Baltimore to catch your flight- anywhere from 6-9 hrs,

depending on where you go. I have never been to Virginia Beach, so I can't speak about their restaurants. I would suggest driving up to Delaware after your Sunday trip. and go to Rehobeth Beach- they have the best restaurants, a nice beach and small boardwalk. The other beaches are also right there, Dewey, Lewes and the National Seashore which has kayaking, fishing,parasailing etc. It's a great "little " town to walk around in. I think it has a more "neighborhood" kind of feel. Juts make sure you don't get accomadations up on the highway where the huge shopping outlets are located. Try to find something in "old"Rehobeth. Then when you are ready to leave you only have about a 3 hour ride to BWI. [ unless you are coming in prime summer time and leaving on a Sat or Sun morning, then you better leave lots of time to get back! ]. Good Luck!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over for Baltimore for a wedding but want to chill out at a...

Virginia Beach is great, but you didn't say what week in June, so watch out for high school graduation week go-ers. Virginia Beach has a boardwalk that is several miles long. At the north end of the Boardwalk is the Cavalier Hotel. The "grand hotel" is not on the beach, but the gounds are lovely (beach is a block away) and they do have a newer ocean front hotel. (High schoolers wouldn't think of staying there!) We have stayed in the more "family oriented" north end, but our kids have loved going to the "strip" at night! Get Khol's (sp?) ice cream! Colonial Downs is 1 1/2 hours from VB on I-64. Wlliamsburg is on the way (1/2 hour from Colonial Downs) and definately worth a day trip maybe on the way to VB. Other cities to check out from Baltimore to VB: Washington DC, Fredericksburg, Richmond, and Norfolk. Check under Virginia Beach and Norfolk for restaurants and ratings on this site.

Dublin
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Over for Baltimore for a wedding but want to chill out at a...

We were thinking of heading the week of 19th - Mon - Friday. Is that the same week the high school children will be there?

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Over for Baltimore for a wedding but want to chill out at a...

The last day of school in our county is June 16th. Graduation is actually before that and the private schools end sooner. Also, these kids seem to have more $$$ now and head to other beaches like Myrtle, Outer banks,etc. I would call the hotel you are interested in and ask about it. My guess is that the more expensive the hotel, the less gratudates!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Over for Baltimore for a wedding but want to chill out at a...

"june bugs" are a nuisance everywhere.

i'm with anga...if i were you, i'd head up to delaware & find something in dewey, rehoboth or bethany. less drive to the airport.

ocean city MD is just a madhouse. VA beach would be a long haul to BWI & you might want to get the major drive done BEFORE chilling. i would.