We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

We'll be heading down for a weekend in January to celebrate our anniversary. I have recently discovered the fine line of Heavy Seas beer here in eastern PA and a brewery tour is on our list for Saturday.

On Friday evening we want to check out the Heavy Seas Alehouse, but Saturday night's dinner is still up in the air. We're staying at the Renaissance and I'm looking for suggestions of a nice restaurant in the area. We don't mind taking a cab if necessary. It doesn't need to be fancy, and even better if they have Heavy Seas on tap. American, Italian or Seafood cuisine always works for us.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
231 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

G&M restaurant is very close to the Heavy Seas brewery. I don't know if they serve Heavy Seas beer, but they do have one of the best crabcakes in town. It's nice, but not very fancy.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

Thames Street Oyster House

Riptide on the Bay

Duda's Tavern (great crabcakes)

Amicci's

You should be able to find a lot of Heavy Seas on tap around town.

Their Ale House is pretty nice...the people were all very friendly when we were there although their lunch menu was limited and their prices seem a little steep.

Enjoy your time in Baltimore!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

Did you know the HS website actually lists all the places that carry their beer? http://www.hsbeer.com/beer-finder/

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

Heavy seas has a new restaurant right down the end of Pratt st from where you r staying. Called Heavy Seas Alehouse @ Bank and Central Ave

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

Thanks for the suggestions! I have used the HS website many times, and enjoy it. I've use it for finding places around here, but I question how accurate it is because it doesn't distinguish between bottles and draught.

I just realized that's the NFL Divisional Playoff weekend. Could be crazy down there if the Ravens are home. Catching the games while we are out would also be nice. I know it won't be our Eagles playing.

Edited: 04 December 2012, 01:55
Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
696 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

Just to let you know that the Heavy Seas Brewery is in Halethorpe, outside of the city; the HS Ale House simply serves Heavy Seas beers. You can take tours at the brewery, however.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

Here's a recap of the weekend. We had a blast!

Checked into the Renaissance on Friday evening. Nice hotel, we had stayed here many years ago and love the location. Got the room for $63 on Priceline and they gave us a king on the 8th floor with a great view of the harbor.

After checking in we grabbed a cab and went right to the Heavy Seas Ale House. This place is fantastic, having all the different brews on tap. The ambiance and food helped make it a perfect night out.

Saturday we had to be the brewery for the 12:30 tour. We were fortunate because Hugh Sisson, the owner himself was giving the tours today. I felt like we were at a Raven's pre-game party. Many were dressed in purple and we each got to try 5 samples of beer while waiting for the tour to begin.

If any of you like beer, take this tour with Hugh! He is very passionate, funny and a genius when it comes to brewing. I am going to add this tour under "things to do" in Baltimore.

Weather was great on this Saturday afternoon. After the tour we went back to the hotel, parked the car and walked over to Fell's Point. I knew everywhere was going to be packed for the game. We rolled into Max's around 3 and grabbed the last table. By the time the game started one couldn't move. We met a lot of great people and the game was one for the history books. One of the folks we met was nice enough to give us a ride back to the hotel.

We have been to Baltimore many times, and always find something different to do each trip. Can't wait for our next visit!

Edited: 14 January 2013, 21:09
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

Sounds like an awesome weekend. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Go Ravens!!!

9. Re: Anniversary weekend including a Heavy Seas Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Baltimore