We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, Cal.
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

We are flying into the Scott area on our way to Berkeley springs w. va. The maps say it is about the same amount of time to drive from Baltimore or Dulles . BWI has cheaper fares so I am leaning that way but am wondering about traffic. We will land about 4:30 pm on a wed. April 10. Any local input on which would be easier with traffic at rush hour would be appreciated. Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

That would be afternoon Rush hour either way. From a road perspective it is an easy ride. I would go with cheaper flights.

San Diego, Cal.
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

Thanks

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

Probably easier to drive to Berkley Springs from BWI. Either way will have traffic but Baltimore traffic is better than the route out of Dulles. During rush hour it had taken me over an hour to go 10 miles on the DC beltway. If renting a car at BWI, when you leave the car rental area ask for directions to Route 100 West then go to Route 29 North, then I-70 West. This way avoids the Baltimore beltway and has less traffic. With no traffic it should take about an hour to get to Berkley Springs.

Grasonville...
Level Contributor
314 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

For me I would say the drive from Dulles would be more fun if it were earlier in the day. Lots of cool country roads instead of the highway. But if you must arrive at 4:30 I would opt for BWI. Count on 100 to be backed up that time of the day. Nothing bad just not up to speed. 70 is a nice ride might see some congestion around Frederick. This early on try to get a 2PM arrival.

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
269 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

I live outside of Martinsburg, which is near Berkeley Springs. We use Dulles more than BWI, not because of distance but because of available flights and price. I would fly into either one without any worries. Both are similar distance and the traffic will be similar too. BWI may be an easier drive because once you get in I-70 just head west. You'll hit the most traffic in and near Frederick MD. Dulles has the toll road that will take you to Leesburg, that's where you'll hit the most traffic. From Leesburg you'll want to head west on route 7 to Winchester, then take 522 north to Berkeley Springs.

Whichever airport you use will be fairly easy. BWI is smaller and a little easier to navigate IMO.

6. Re: Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 22:08
7. Re: Which airport for w. va. BWI or IAD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 05:18