We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

I need information on how to drive from NJ to Florida but need to avoid harbor tunnels. Any information will be highly appreciated

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

When you get to 695, head toward Towson or Glen Burnie. 695 doesn't have any tunnels, but if you go toward Glen Burnie you will cross over the Key Bridge. It's been so long since I've crossed it I can't remember if there is a toll or not, but going toward Towson doesn't have any bridges or tolls for sure. The distance on 695 looks to be about the same either way. Just be careful with speeds since there is a lot of road work on 695 and a lot of speed cameras.

I-95 and 895 are the highways that have tunnels in Baltimore. Just avoid them and you'll be fine.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

Heading towoard Glenn Burnie on 695 crosses the Key Bridge. Toll $3 through June 2013. Starting July 1, 2013 toll is $4.

Heading toward Towson around 695 there is no toll. On a map this looks a lot longer, but it is only 3 miles longer. During rush hour, there is much more traffic going around the Towson side.

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

Thank you Mirage52 and DavefromcolMD for the information. it has really been very helpful and nerve calming. I will definitely look into it. Trip is still 6 months away but wanted to get an early start on obtaining information.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

You could also cut through downtown Baltimore and avoid the tunnels.

Might not save you much time versus taking 695 towards Towson (unless it's rush hour) but you'll get to see the city via surface streets.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

II would not have thought it but apparently the time to go around the beltway in either direction is just about the same from 95. so , you can stay on terra firma by going west or over a bridge by going east. If you are anywhere near rush hour then do not go west as it can be bumper to bumper for miles.

listen to 1090 am for traffic every 15 minutes once you hit maryland if you want to wait to commit.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,926 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

Assuming you're starting out from central or northern NJ, you could also avoid Baltimore's tunnel *and* Beltway *and* all the tolls and traffic along I-95 by taking the western route thru Pennsylvania (I-78 to I-81 to I-83 to US-15 to I-270) and then meeting up with the Capital Beltway outside of DC.

Sample routing (Newark-Jacksonville): http://goo.gl/maps/j3zJi

You could also avoid the tunnels and the Beltways around Baltimore and Washington by taking 301 south from Delaware and meeting up with I-95 in Virginia. That having been said--if the underlying issue is tunnel phobia, you may have similar issues with the Bay Bridge.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZMp7s

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

To everyone who provided information on how to avoid the tunnels. Thank you all so much. We just returned from our vacation. We took the Towson route. Once again thanks so so much

Edited: 27 August 2013, 02:31
8. Re: Need info on how to avoid HarborTunnels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Baltimore