We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hagerstown...
1 post
Save Topic
traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

i am planning a trip for my sons birthday to the baltimore aquarium. we will be leaving hagerstown md around 330 pm on friday. with scheduled tickets for the aquarium. Does anyone know how bad the traffic is going into balitmore on friday evenings? thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

Shouldn't have too much of a problem heading into the city

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

Its bad

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

let me modify. My wife who leaves Baltimore at 5 every Friday says that from 70 at 695 out can be slow but not always and weather/accident dependent. There will be traffic crossing Baltimore to aquarium but that is a mile. Plan on 2 or 2.5 hours.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
225 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

While heavier and slower than normal, traffic coming into the city at that time is usually okay. However, traffic on 695 in either direction often slows to a crawl, especially where it approaches 95.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
336 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

You also need to keep in mind that there is heavy construction on the inner and outer loop of the beltway from around the I-70 area south all the way past Catonsville. I have been stuck here several times recently. Add to that any precipitation and it could be horrible. Google maps suggests that route to get to the IH. I would consider an alternate.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

Just give yourself enough time. Maybe leave at 3 instead? I wouldn't change your route, all of Baltimore is snarled at rush hour on Fridays.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

I would leave a little earlier and walk around the harbor area if needed. Traffic around 5p going into the city should not be bad but as several mentioned events such as an accident or rain could slow you up a little.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

Traffic is always backed up at I70 east and 695, sometimes for miles. Once you get past US 29 heading east, you are stuck - no exits until the beltway.

Here's an alternative that should be less congested.

Get of I-70 at US 29 south. Take US29 south to route 100 east (it will be a left exit). Take route 100 to I95 or 295 north to Baltimore. Listen to the traffic reports. Either 95 or 295 heading north into Baltimore may be fine or one may be better than the other. If you take I95 get off on 395 and you will go into the city. If you take 295 it becomes Russel Street in the city. HEad east on Pratt Street to the aquarium.

9. Re: traffic in baltimore at 5 pm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 05:16