We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getttysburg to Baltimore

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Getttysburg to Baltimore

we are going to be in Gettysburg for a week and would like to take a day trip to Baltimore.

Does anyone have an easy route to get there? We figured the Inner Harbor area to be he best place to go.

Is it easy to park? We plan on parking the vehicle and walking if that is possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

It'll take roughly 1 hr, 15 mins without traffic. There are plenty of parking garages downtown, some more expensive than others. There is a garage that I use religiously in Little Italy on Exeter & Bank Streets. $3 at nights and on weekends. Close to the harbor, Harbor East and Fells Point.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

The easiest route to get there from Gettysburg is to head down PA/MD 97 to MD 140 to 795. There is always some congestion around Westminster, but nothing too terrible.

Local experts, could you give the best directions for getting from 795 to the Inner Harbor area? Google Maps suggests taking 695 E to get on I-83. Mapquest suggests the route that I have always taken, 695 S to 395. Which is better and why?

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

83 drops you into the "heart" of the city by the Inner Harbor; 395 brings you in by the stadiums. It depends on the time of day but I always try to avoid the "top" side of the beltway (the 395 route) because of traffic. Traffic is usually only congested on 83 south in the morning rush when everyone is commuting into the city.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

Live off of 795. Can take 695 in either direction to downtown. Totally does not matter.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

Great thanks! : )

Any suggestions for a good meal. My husband wants to eat in Little Italy!

Carroll Valley...
Level Contributor
17 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

I'd recommend I-83 South into the city if you are planning to visit the Inner Harbor and if you go at a non-peak time (NOT rush hour). Another option, depending if it fits with your itinerary, is you could take the Baltimore Metro from Owings Mills (Exit 4 off of I-795) to Charles Center. Parking at the Metro is free, it's about 20-25 mins on the Metro to Charles Center (closest stop to the Harbor, about 3-4 blocks walking).

Can't comment on Little Italy, but a Baltimore institution is Faidley's in Lexington Market (a couple stops up on the Metro). They are pretty famous for their crabcakes.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

Subway is an option especially if travel is during rush hour. Do you need car once downtown? Not necessarily. Depends on whether you like to walk a lot, don't mind waiting for public transportation, etc..

Search little Italy above for suggestions. You will see many.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

Subway is an option especially if travel is during rush hour. Do you need car once downtown? Not necessarily. Depends on whether you like to walk a lot, don't mind waiting for public transportation, etc..

Search little Italy above for suggestions. You will see many.

9. Re: Getttysburg to Baltimore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:18