We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Need to find reasonably priced, safe place to stay for week in July while visiting family in Catonsville as well as DC area (Faifax Station, VA). Will probably start/end each day visiting with grandparents in Catonsville, venture out from there (day trips via car or train to DC, VA, Annapolis,Chesapeake Bay, other nearby MD scenery, ???)

I know staying near BWI would make sense logistically, but don't really want to spend a week returning at end of day to airport motel/hotel.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,099 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

"I know staying near BWI would make sense logistically, but don't really want to spend a week returning at end of day to airport motel/hotel."

I'm afraid you've lost me here. The BWI area hotels would be an excellent choice for someone staying in Catonsville. Definitely much better than anything closer to Catonsville, and I would avoid anything in the "Security/Woodlawn" area you might find on line.

Fairfax Station might look like it's fairly close to Catonsville, but given the traffic it could literally be a 2-hour trip each way unless you avoid rush hour.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Thanks for the reply. My comment re:BWI was a result of my wife's unlikely desire to return to the airport at the end of each day, in spite of it's logistically appealing location.

I know Fairfax Station is not near (I.e., a couple of hours away) Catonsville, but mentioned because of need to visit family there as well.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,099 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Ok...im still not getting it, but it's not my trip. Plenty of hotels in downtown Baltimore, just make sure you budget an extra $25-$35 dollars a day for the parking.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Another option is Arundel mills area. Many newer properties. Just outside airport area. 10 min closer to VA and still convenient to Catonsville.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Try showing the Mrs. the website for the Aloft hotel at BWI. If that doesn't work, an inn in Ellicot City or New Market might. Or even Silver Spring.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
529 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Columbia, MD has a number of nice hotels as well. Not far from BWI, and Catonsville.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Maybe Turf Valley?

http://www.turfvalley.com/

I've only ever been to a conference there, but the property is nice and certainly seems to meet the criteria for a pleasant place to return to at the end of the day. It would be reasonably convenient to your planned locations. Do read the reviews before you make the decision.

Good luck with your planning!

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

Catonsville is a big area. If the grandparents live closer to Rt 29, I'd suggest a hotel in the Ellicott City or Columbia area. In Ellicott City, The Hampton Inn, Staybridge Suites, Residence Inn and The Hilton Garden Inn are close to Rt 29 and off Rt100, which would be a close shot to I-95 S.

In Columbia, the DoubleTree by Hilton and the Sheraton Columbia Town Center are just off Rt 29 and RT 175, which would be nice choices....and also not too far from I-95.

If the grandparents are closer to 295, I agree with neslaw1... Arundel Mills area would be a good place to look. There are some nice hotels off of Rt 100 and 295.

Good luck with your plans. I hope you and your family have a nice visit. :)

9. Re: Places to stay if visiting Catonsville, MD and DC area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 07:17