We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camden Yards / Hotel Question

Reading
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Camden Yards / Hotel Question

Please indulge me, as I am sure similar questions have been asked before.

Every year I do a couple of road trips from Michigan, to see the Tigers, and to visit some different ballparks.

On Thurs. May 30th I will be in Pittsburg, then on Fri. May 31st I will be in Baltimore. I have noticed other posts on this forum, that recommend the downtown (or inner harbor) hotels.

For some (the Hilton Baltimore) there are no rooms available, for others the room rates are quite high (both Hampton Inns, $319 & $249) and many have no ARRP rates for that date (The $319 Hampton does not have a ARRP rate for that date and the other Hampton drops from $249 to $236 with the discount).

I am considering just staying in the Columbia or Ellicott City area where the rates are more reasonable ($90 - $120) and just coming in early (4:00-5:00) for the game.

On my way back to Michigan the next day (Sat.) I plan to visit the Antietam Battlefield, so staying this area will also give me a little jump in the morning.

Questions:

Is this doable?

Are these safe areas?

Would the BWI area be a better choice? Why? (It is a little out of the way)

Also, in most other cities where I have attended ballgames there are Bars/Restaurants nearby that you can visit (drink or dine), park your car (free parking), and catch a shuttle (minimal charge) to and from the game. It is usually a good time for an out of towner, with lots of fun and people to mingle with before and after the game. It sure beats parking in some expensive lot and heading back to the hotel.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something like this in Baltimore?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Hilton Baltimore
Hilton Baltimore
2,746 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Antietam
Antietam
98 Reviews
Detroit, MI
Chesterfield...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camden Yards / Hotel Question

Funny my family and I are doing the exact same thing as we are very big Tiger fans. As far as hotel hotwire is a wise choice. You can choose to stay in the inner harbor for a cheap rate at a decent hotel. I do almost all my vacations this way and haven't had a bad place to stay yet.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camden Yards / Hotel Question

Let me see if I can help you out here.

First there is no place that I know of that offers a shuttle to the ballpark (easy enough to walk from a lot of local bars but not with super cheap parking). You could park by the arena (north of the stadium) and hit Pratt Street Ale House (high end) or Sliders (lower end).

It would be preferred to stay in the Inner Harbor but either BWI or Columbia should be fine. BWI might have a better selection and lower prices but that might not be the case on the weekend. Most hotels in either area should be safe but may be isolated.

Don't miss Fort McHenry.

Mentioned in this post
Pratt Street Ale House
Pratt Street Ale House
885 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camden Yards / Hotel Question

forget the free parking downtown although lots aren't super expensive and sometimes can find street parking but no promises. plenty of places within walking distance of park for food/drink and there is a free circulator bus which will take you to some other areas like fells point or harbor east. We get many visitors esp from NY and BOS who can't get into their ballparks. You can stay in EC or Columbia and drive in- park 1 time until you leave or stay at BWI and take light rail in and not need a car.

Not a significant time difference to stay in either place for your trip to Antietam so wouldn't necessarily let that dictate your choice.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
United States
Level Contributor
349 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camden Yards / Hotel Question

You can get public transportation from parts of Columbia/Ellicott City into the ballpark--not free but low cost. HOWEVER, you will definitely not get there for the first pitch. I take the bus because I meet someone with a car at the ballpark and we do not want two cars when we leave. However, it is not ideal. AND THERE ARE NOT BUSES BACK. So you would have to cab it--defeating the parking cost savings by taking the bus.

Unfortunately, the Maryland Transportation Authority discontinued lower-cost shuttles that would have gotten you there by the first pitch several years ago because of low ridership. Staying in Columbia or Ellicott City would be fine for catching Rte. 70 to Antietam.

Staying near BWI and taking the Light Rail would not get you directly to your BWI area hotel and the LAST Light Rail leaving Camden Yards for BWI is 12:08 AM weekdays.

I would definitely drive and park. Don't park in the official Camden Yards lots if you do want to go out afterwards and not move your car. They are very deserted and dark if you come back after the game crowd leaves. I would park maybe in the Gallery Mall/hotel underground garage off Pratt Street or the deck at the Hyatt. They are close to the Harbor and you also can take the free Circulator bus to other destinations but I am not sure when the Circulator stops running--others on the forum know better than I.

PS The Hilton has great rooms facing the ballpark if you can score one and AAA rates are often cheaper than AARP. You also still pay for parking at downtown hotels and parking at the BWI or Columbia/Ellicott City Hotels would be free.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
5. Re: Camden Yards / Hotel Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:16