We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

New York City
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

Hi everyone!

We're visiting friends in Baltimore for 5 days in August and it will be our only summer vacation. I'm hoping to make it feel more vacation-y by leaving the city for a day or two to go to a beach or oceanside village or something summery and naturally beautiful and fun. We'll have a car and don't mind spending some money -- any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
758 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

Hi Rachel - hubby and I love to hike and explore the outdoors so I can make several recommendations:

Gunpowder Falls State Park - about 30 minutes northeast of Baltimore. Several hiking trails but make sure you follow the markers - our first time there we got lost!

Sugarloaf Mountain - in Dickerson, about an hour from Baltimore. Good hiking and a winery near the bottom of the mountain.

Cunningham Falls State Park - in Thurmont, about an hour and 15 minutes from Baltimore. Hiking trails plus a lake with beach and swimming.

Great Falls National Park - this borders MD and VA; we like the VA side better. Also about an hour from Baltimore. Hiking trails and great views over the falls.

Another day trip (if you like shopping) is the Premium Outlets in Hagerstown about an hour and 15 minutes from Baltimore. Pretty drive along I-70.

A great city to visit is Annapolis. Lots of history (it's the state capital). You can tour the State House. I also like the campus of the naval academy. There's a cute downtown area with shops and restaurants and a waterfront. We've taken the 40-minute scenic boat tour which is pretty good.

I really can't give much advice on beaches since I'm really not fond of the beaches in this region. I do like Rehoboth in Delware - it's a nice town, but hotel availability may be limited at this late date. I'm sure others can give you much more info on beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Gunpowder Falls State Park
Gunpowder Falls State...
61 Reviews
Bradshaw, MD
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Hagerstown
Hagerstown
Maryland
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

I'll be echoing the recommendations I just made in another thread!

Look into Harpers Ferry, WV

Maryland Heights trail

Tubing on the Potomac

Shopping, eating & drinking in Fredrick MD

All within approx 60-90 mins of Baltimore.

Mentioned in this post
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
New York City
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

Super helpful, thank you!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

Ocean beaches are a couple of hours away. doable for a daytrip but not much fun IMHO.

You got some good ideas for local parks with water. Right near Baltimore is Patapsco State park which has a great paved trail and river.

Great Falls was mentioned. Theses falls are beautiful with nice hiking on both sides of the potomac. further up is Harpers Ferry.

The usual suspect for a short Eastern Shore visit is St Michaels although Chestertown and Rock Hall are good choices.

Lots more choices than you will have time for.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
St. Michaels
St. Michaels
Talbot County, MD
Ellicott City...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

Check out Midatlantic Day Trips blog for a few ideas: www.midatlanticdaytrips.blogspot.com. Ideas covered there include St Michaels, Tilghman Island, antiqueing in New Market, winetasting at some Maryland wineries...

Mentioned in this post
St. Michaels
St. Michaels
Talbot County, MD
Tilghman Island
Tilghman Island
252 Reviews
St. Michaels, MD
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

Grab a drink or dinner outside along the water in Canton and you can pretend you're not in the city with typical cool ocean-ish breezes.

Consider the Billy Goat Trail for a great hike by Great Falls on the MD side.

If you want to venture to the ocean, try to go mid-week to avoid traffic and find cheaper hotel rates (you can do an up and back but it will be a long day). Rehobeth, Bethany and Dewey in DE are a little less hectic than OC in MD.

Mentioned in this post
Billy Goat Trail
Billy Goat Trail
223 Reviews
Potomac, MD
7. Re: Day trips from Baltmore for beaches, hikes, towns...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:16