We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltimore in one day

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Baltimore in one day

We're going to NY this Winter, one of the days of our stay we are planning to visit Baltimore. We'll probably use AMTRAK service from New York - Penn Station, NY (NYP) to Baltimore - Penn Station Station, MD (BAL). Our idea is to spend the day in the city arriving something about 11 AM, and at night time, 8 PM, return no Manhattan. Is it enought time?

Are the touristic points of Baltimore near the Penn Station or we have to get to another area? (If it's like that, how do we get there from Penn Station..?)

Is it worth it to visit the city in Winter?

Thank you

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baltimore in one day

The Charm City Circulator can take you pretty much anywhere you want to go in a day.

charmcitycirculator.com/content/route-maps

If it is enough time depends on what you want to see. If you can give a little more info on what you are interested in ( museums , outdoors, interactive) we can help you a little more. Are there children in your group?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baltimore in one day

We (marriage and 3 children (20; 18; 14)) actually don't know what we exactly have to see. We know about an aquarium that people say is amazing. We are interested in having a city screenshot... In a few hours I guess we're not going to be able to see all the indoor atracttions the city has. Which are the atractions/places you recommend to see "no-mather-what"?

The Penn Station is far away from the tourism hot spots of the city?

Sorry for my english (In Buenos Aires we don't usually speak it and I'm out of practice).

Thank you

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baltimore in one day

I would take a look at the top attractions for Baltimore and see what looks good to you. The aquaruim is world-class so maybe start there. Maybe a walk around the harbor and one or two other attractions will be all you'll have time for.

I'd look into spending the night in Baltimore since it's a long way to go for one night and hotels should be significantly cheaper than NYC (Maybe your hotel in NY will hold your stuff without charging you for the room).

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baltimore in one day

I would not leave NYC for a winter day in Baltimore. Maybe Philly or DC.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baltimore in one day

Philly is definitely more reasonable for a day trip from NYC than Baltimore.

Edited: 15 October 2013, 06:17
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
869 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baltimore in one day

I agree. Leaving NYC for a day trip to Baltimore does not seem practical. If you want to leave NYC I would suggest going to Philadelphia. It is closer and its tourist spots are bunched closer together. Baltimore's aquarium is world class but not worth traveling 8 hours round trip in one day for.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baltimore in one day

I agree, Philly would be a better option for a day trip from NYC, but I'm not going to go out of my way to discourage someone from making the trip to Baltimore. Maybe they're a fan of The Wire...hahaha.

The Aquarium is a can't miss, and for a city screen shot, I recommend Federal Hill park. There's also a lot of good bars and restaurants in the Fed Hill neighborhood for a drink or two.

Don't miss Fells Point, either. Historic neighborhood on the water, lots of bars.

Baltimore has some good museums but unless there's something specific you want to see, I wouldn't spend the limited time in town to visit them. Basically, I'd wander around the harbor, Fed Hill, Fells Point, eat a crabcake, visit the aquarium, and then head back to NYC. Take taxis to get around since you're short on time.

But yes, Philly would be closer.

8. Re: Baltimore in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:18