We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

Hi, is it safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after 5 pm? Let's say on Pratt street. Are there any good places to eat at the Inner Harbor?

Thank you!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

Yes. Too many restaurants to mention without some information. Within a very short distance is the Inner Harbor, Harbor East, Fed Hill and Fells Point- all with excellent restaurants.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,099 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

In general you shouldn't expect any problems. It would be easier to give better advice if you told us where you're walking from other than "downtown", which could mean lots of places.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

Hello, I felt silly creating another post about safety of walking couple different routes in Baltimore:

What if I want to get from Holiday Inn on Pratt St to the Baltimore Basilica -what would be the best walk? And in other direction: from Pratt st via S Charles st to intersection with E Cross st-is that ok? Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

Pratt and Charles are the major crossroads of Baltimore. Not sure why heading to E Cross St as that is in the wrong direction, I think. the basilica has a whole page on how to get there with maps, etc

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

All your walks would be safe after night. Just keep you guard up and use common sense as you would in any U.S. city. Walk north up Charles St for the bascilica. It's a main road with lots of businesses so it should be well populated after dark.

Getting to Cross St should also be safe via S. Charles. You could also take Light Street which would take you through the harbor.

Not to disuade you from walking, but there is a free bus called the Charm City Circulator that would help you get around safely as well.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

I think I misunderstood that you knew Cross street was not near the basilica. Mirage is right. You should be just fine walking along the harbor and down to Cross street. It is a pretty good walk but past some interesting buildings and many good restaurants. Definitely see more than by bus. Of course after walking there, can always take the circulator bus back towards hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

From fairmont washginston dc, where is the nearest factory outlets and possible by metro ?

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

Hazel, try posting in the Washington DC forum. This forum is for Baltimore.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

Wife and I thinking of spending a few days before Christmas at the harbor. Is the harbor decorated for the holidays? What is there to do at night? Suggestions & advice is appreciated.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe to walk from Downtown to Inner Harbor after sunset?

Lots of stuff going on:

http://itsawaterfrontlife.org/

We saw the laser show and visited the German market a weekend or two ago.

Also look into Christmas Street in Hampden and couple it with dinner/drinks/shopping on the Avenue (36th Street).