We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
8 posts
Save Topic
Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

I am looking to visit Baltimore in early May with my boyfriend. We are in out mid twenties, and neither of us have been to Baltimore before. We will be driving in on Thursday evening and checking out Sunday morning.

We would like to be within walking distance to the inner harbor. Is that the best area for our age group? We are interested in sight seeing/exploring during the day and going out in the evenings to a bar or pub.

Any recommendations on hotels that are not overly expensive and things to do?

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

The Baltimore experts here (which I'm not so much) will likely recommend Mt. Vernon as the best lodging base for you. My advice is more general and will serve you well on future travels: airbnb, not hotels.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

Downtown Baltimore is fairly small. I think you should find a couple of places that are in your budget and then ask. Why don't you search things to do here and on the to do pages on ta. Again, if looking for something specific easier to give advice.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

If you can find a hotel within your budget I would recommend staying in or near the Inner Harbor. This will give you easy access to the Fells Point and Canton which you will want to check out.

Also the Charm City Circulator http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/ is a free shuttle which can get you to many places.

A little more info on budget would help recommend specific places and depending on your dates there may be other things we can suggest.

New Jersey
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

We are looking to spend up to $150/160 a night. We are going the first weekend in May.

How is Hotel Monaco- a Kimpton Hotel? Is it within walking distance to the inner harbor?

baltimore
Level Contributor
264 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

There is a new "up and coming" area called Inner Harbour East which has a Courtyard by Marriot as well as a recently built Marriot and one other in the area. The area is situated between Fells Point, which you'll definitely want to check out and is a nice 5 minute walk along the waterfront Promenade. Lots of bars & restaurants in this area. Not sure if the Orioles are in town when you are, but the stadium is downtown and was the first of the "retro" stadiums built and is still considered one of the best. Put Federal Hill on your list as well, another area popular with lots of bars & restaurants, and cross street market. All of this can be walked, but the cabs are pretty cheap and there is the charm city circulator. Dining in inner harbor east can be pricey, so check out the fells & federal hill neighborhoods. Feel free to ask any other questions or message me.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

Kimpton is very nice.about 5 minute walk to ih.

Grasonville...
Level Contributor
316 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

Harbor East, Fells Point, and Canton. Fells Point is nice because there is night life and the water taxi to get down to the intern harbor. Canton has been on the rise over the past 10 - 15 years and still a favorite of ours since my wife is from Canton. You can easily walk in the daylight along the water from Fells Point to Canton. You might be able to get into the Admiral Fell Inn in your price range.

New Jersey
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

Thanks for everybody's help. We chose the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel due to a good deal and the location. We plan to go to the aquarium, Fell's point, Cantor, and other sites. We will probably buy the water taxi pass.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

Which weekend? The Kinectic Scuplture Race is on May 3; Farmer's Market will be a great place to get brunch on Sunday (close at sellout around noon) - lots of prepared foods including Baltimore's best burger; Hampden is funky (look for Bazaar right off the Avenue); DiPascuales for lunch (closes early); Matthew's Pizza; the Walters and the Basicalla in Mt Vernon would be good. The BMA is free and world class. The AVAM is AWESOME (at least visit the free gift shop); great view of the city from Federal Hill or the Pagoda (only open on Sunday).

Grab a copy of the Where magazine at your hotel or around town for more ideas. And the b and city paper newspapers for more ideas around town.

Bar's in Fed Hill or Fells - you'l have plenty of places to drink.

Arizona City...
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend away with boyfriend (mid twenties)

Stay at Harbor East! Tons of stuff right there and Fells Point is in walking distance. The first time we stayed, we stayed at the Marriott waterfront and walked to Fells Point and did our own bar crawl together. The next day we had dinner at Roy's and relaxed that evening. We are in our early 30's and have been going for years. It's a perfect location!! Good luck!