We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Crab house!!!

Gahanna, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Crab house!!!

My family is staying downtown for the OSU Navy game at the end of August, we'll be in town for a few days and can travel about the city. Where are the best Md style crabs located? Seems there's alot of commercialized places - I want to go where the locals go. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..

Gahanna, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best Crab house!!!

Steamed and drenched in Old Bay, or something of the sort. Dumped in a pile on the table in front of me with a pitcher of beer, and a hammer and a Bib...

Grasonville...
Level Contributor
425 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best Crab house!!!

Take the water taxi to Capt James, Bo Brooks or Canton Dockside. Years ago Bo Brooks was the place to got to out on Belair Rd, I have not been since they moved to the water. Stops 14 and 16 on the taxi route.

http://www.baltimorewatertaxi.com/Stops,-Schedules-002B-0024amp;-Routes.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Canton Dockside
Canton Dockside
174 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Mid Atlantic
Level Contributor
232 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best Crab house!!!

Oh boy. This is probably the most debated topic in Baltimore: who has best crabs? Who has best crab cake? There are as many opinions as options. The only advice I can offer is try to find the freshest and largest crabs you can and be prepared to pay for them. Obrykis is still open at BWI but are not generally considered true Maryland crabs due to their pepper/mustard seasoning. True crab lovers in this area swear by a mix that is either Old Bay or a handmade "secret" seasoning remarkably like Old Bay.

If you are looking for steamed crabs, the best places generally are not downtown Baltimore. Baltimore magazine always does a feature on crab houses so you may wish to check their website. baltimoremagazine.net/2012/6/best-crab-house… In my opinion, the places downtown are overpriced and made for tourists.

To get a true crab-picking experience , try Crab Quarters or Schultzs both in Essex (right outside of Baltimore). Even better because it's outside and you catch a glimpse of some water and boats is Sue Island Grill and Crab House. The eastern shore has lots of good crab house and there are some in Annapolis too.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Crab Quarters
Crab Quarters
29 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Essex
Essex
Maryland
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Grasonville...
Level Contributor
425 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best Crab house!!!

If you don't have wheels Just go to Capt James. If you has a car as the other poster mentioned there are better placed in the county. BTW I read in the paper today that Oprah Winfrey was there the other day. No to imply that this means anything :-D

Gahanna, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best Crab house!!!

Looks like it's down to Cpt James or Canton Dockside - I'll report back. Thanks for the tips!

Mentioned in this post
Canton Dockside
Canton Dockside
174 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best Crab house!!!

If you want local, then Faidley's at Lexington Market. Check their operating hours, as they do close fairly early. No tables, walk up and place your order, order any alcoholic beverages right there at the Oyster Bar and be prepared to stand and enjoy the best crabcake in Bawlmer! Don't be put off by the area surrounding the market, there are police patrols and I have never encountered a problem. I miss Faidleys so much I even have them flown in once a year and it is well worth it!

17. Re: Best Crab house!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:15