We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 bedroom suite inner harbor

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
95 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
2 bedroom suite inner harbor

We will traveling in mid August with our three little ones 8,3,1. We love to stay in hotels with 2 bedroom suites as it allows some privacy and rest for all. We typically stay at Homewood-Hilton but they only have one bedrooms in the harbor. Any others besides the Residence Inn, which I wasn't so sure about the area based on some reviews. Thanks so much!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 bedroom suite inner harbor

There are suite hotels but not always sure what that means. Fairfield Inn, Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, Brookshire, Springhill etc. Residence Inn is about 3 blocks from the harbor and in the downtown business district. so, it is quiet at night but it is a well trafficked area with a number of bars, clubs, restaurants in the vicinity.

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 bedroom suite inner harbor

The Embassy Suites Inner Harbor has two-bedroom/two-bathroom suites which are HUGE and great for families. It's not right at the harbor but not a bad walk. Free breakfast and cocktails/appetizers in the evenings.

NJ
Level Contributor
95 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 bedroom suite inner harbor

Thanks so much. I have a tentative reservation at the residence inn, just wish they had a pool. So I'm still on the hunt! Thanks

Mid Atlantic
Level Contributor
230 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 bedroom suite inner harbor

The Residence Inn is certainly not in a bad area IMHO although it is a little walk slightly uphill from the Harbor. I believe there may be a few clubs around that area that may be busy/loud into the late hours but shouldn't be a problem during the day when it is largely business traffic.

Truly the best answer depends on understanding the purpose of your vacation and what you want to see/do. I also have three kids and can empathize with the challenges of transport,logistics, and moods/limitations of small kids.

If you plan to drive or have activities away from Inner Harbor (such as the Baltimore Zoo and Baltimore Museum of Art -- both great choices for a family with young kids), you may not wish to stay right on the Harbor. I would caution you that summer evenings can get very crowded and traffic can be bumper-to-bumper along major thru-roads like Pratt, Lombard, President, Eastern etc. Even busier if there is an Orioles game... To me, if it was after dark on the weekend and I had young kids, I would try to avoid even walking along these streets (daytime might be crowded but definitely not the same scene as the night time "party" crowd).

Similarly, any hotel that is across I83/President Street would be largely gridlocked from the Inner Harbor attractions throughout the day and most always on weekends, unless it is east of Eastern Avenue closer to the water such as the Homewood Suites, Four Seasons and Waterfront Marriott, which allows you to stay on the walking path around Inner Harbor.

The Camden Yards/Convention Center area (on the South side of the he arbor) is a bit of a walk from the Harbor and would make me tear my hair out if I were walking with three tired and cranky kids. But if you are planning to go to a game, convention or event/show at the Hippodrome, Arena, I highly recommend checking out the new Hotel Monaco that has some truly great family accommodations and a "Kimpton Kids" programs.

All that aside, if you basically are visiting to see the Inner Harbor attractions (such as Port Discovery, National Aquarium and the Science Center (which has a great play room for very young kids in addition to fun for all ages, IMAX and outdoor carousel), you'll find the most central and convenient location for a family with kids is the Renaissance Baltimore. The hotel is fine, there is a pool, parking on site etc. but the best part is that it is attached to a small shopping center and has a walking bridge across to the harbor, making it painless and safe to get to the walking path that leads around the harbor from Fells Point to Federal Hill, with the Aquarium, Science Center and all the restaurants/stores in between. It is close enough to everything that you can pop back in for naps or cleanup). I've been there to stay and for events and it has always been very good. Parking is a breeze and the location can't be beat.

There you have it, if you want to stay in Inner Harbor and can deal with not having a suite, go for the Renaissance purely for convenience factor. They also have some specials running now (looks like $179 for queen on club level, which gives you breakfast and afternoon/happy hour snacks). If you must have a suite, Residence Inn is a good choice but Homewood Suites would be superior location close to Whole Foods, restaurants, a marina etc. and on the walking path around the harbor.

A few activity suggestions for kids ages 1-8: obviously the Aquarium is a popular choice, that said, I found it hard to keep track of kids because it's somewhat dark and usually crowded and there are ramps that that my kids found way more fun to run on than to see fish behind glass. Try to go when they open or later in the day; Friday nights they run a special. Port Discovery is a museum for kids. 'Nuf said. Always fun. Science Center is our favorite because there are lots of hands-on activities. Plus it's on the quieter side of the Harbor so if you have a stroller, you can walk around over there and maybe venture into Federal Hill for in-stroll naps while older kids play in park and you get best view of city. Don't forget the carousel, which as far as carousels go, it's no great shakes but my kids screamed to ride it again and again. Near the carousel, you may be able to see crabs in the water between the walk and the marina--look on rocks in the shallows near the wall. My kids probably liked this better than any paid attraction! The Visionary Arts Museum is also on this side of the harbor and is fun to visit.

Away from the harbor, the Zoo is wonderful and its children's zoo and farm areas are great for young kids. However, the zoo is fairly isolated from other attractions so it would be a car ride from Inner Harbor. The Walters is a virtual Mini-Met/Louvre in Mount Vernon that offers great hands on activities for young kids (dress up, coloring and book nook etc.)

Baltimore has three good art museums (Walters, Visionary and the BMA); he Walters has best programs for young kids in my opinion. The BMA does have a good restaurant adjacent to its sculpture garden, which usually works for young kids as a playground if it's not too hot. We liked to go there for brunch or lunch and watch the kids run around.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your visit!

NJ
Level Contributor
95 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 bedroom suite inner harbor

Wow thanks so much Momma23boyz! That information is beyond valuable. Thank you so much for taking the time, I really appreciate IT. I wish we didn't need a suite, as it would give us more options, but for our sanity and sleeping, it has become somewhat of a necessity. I am now looking into the embassy suites. Any thoughts on the location? We will be traveling mostly to the harbor/aquarium. I haven't been there in years, since before kids 8 years ago. We would rather not have to get back into the car at all.

Mid Atlantic
Level Contributor
230 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 bedroom suite inner harbor

Hi again. The hotel looks lovely. I usually love Embassy suites when traveling with kids but have never stayed at this one. This used to be The Tremont. Easier to get on/off 83 and basically across the street from Mercy Medical Center. It's a more remote location a little walk from the harbor but just a block or so away from Charles Street whichhas some shops and stores. Would be good if you plan to go to Mount Vernon area as well has the harbor and probably less noisy than the other hotel you were booked in. It is on St Paul Place which is a bit like a park. It is a little hilly (downhill a little from Charles) if you are pushing a stroller but not bad. Bit of trivia for you: this is one of the more popular hotels for visiting film crews (probably because it is convenient yet a little away from the bustle of the harbor.

Another idea might be to consider adjoining rooms. We now often do that when we travel -- sometimes that works out to offer more space and bathrooms. Have a wonderful visit to Charm City.

NJ
Level Contributor
95 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 bedroom suite inner harbor

Thanks so much momma23boyz. Your information and knowledge has been very very helpful. We decided on the embassy suites over the residence inn because it has a pool. We usually love Homewood suites but the one here does not have a pool either. Its something that the kids look forward too. We will definitely be traveling with a stroller. We will be coming in on a Wednesday and leaving Saturday. We of course thought the aquarium but aren't settled on where else to go. You know the little ones can only handle so much trekking around before melting down. On that note any recommendations on family friendly places to eat? Thanks so much again, you have been great!

8. Re: 2 bedroom suite inner harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:15