We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bwi help

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
291 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
bwi help

i plan to fly out of bwi on friday for my columbus day weekend. my flight is at 830am...what time should i plan to be at the airport...normally i would be at the airport for 7am...but I know bwi is notorious for long lines during the federal holidays.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bwi help

Columbus Day weekend isn't as heavily traveled as other holidays since many non-federal employees don't get the Monday off and most school systems aren't closed. In short, the holiday isn't what it used to be and you'll probably find volume isn't much heavier than a normal Friday.

But if you haven't been to BWI lately, allowing 90 minutes before your flight is a little on the aggressive side on any day given enhanced security. I'd give it two hours, even early in the morning.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,574 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bwi help

I didn't know BWI was notorious for lines, and I fly out of there several times a month.

Depends what airline you're flying to some extent, but even when I'm at the "D" Pier and the line is wrapped all the way back to the main concourse, it still only takes 15-20 minutes to get through.

Oxon Hill, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bwi help

You also need to take into consideration if there is an accident along the way, which there always seems to be along that route in the a.m.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bwi help

I never had a problem with lines at BWI. As with any airport I would give it 2 hours anyway. They have a nice little lounge area and nice shops to roam around while you wait. Rather be safe than sorry. This Federal holiday isn't like it used to be. Shouldn't be an issue.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bwi help

I fly out of BWI several times a month. I give myself 2 hours, minimum 1 1/2 hours. You should be totally fine being in the airport at 7am.

And don't freak out if you have to go through Concourse D and see the longest line of your life. It moves beyond fast and worst case scenerio they call flights to make sure people don't miss theirs.

6. Re: bwi help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 00:19