We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blue laws?

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
blue laws?

hi, we're comiing to Baltimore in April, & it would be nice to know the alcohol laws ahead of time. Are there day/time restrictions? Do we have to go to a special 'state' store, or is everything available in grocery stores? any help would be appreciated!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blue laws?

we don't have "state stores" in maryland. everything alcoholic is sold in independently owned "liquor" stores. beer, wine, hard stuff...all in the same place. nothing like that is sold in grocery stores in the baltimore area.

they're all closed on sunday...other than that, the only restrictions are set by the stores themselves as to hours.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blue laws?

redladya,

Alcohol can be sold from 6am to 2am...Maryland has full strength beers.

Our county (Anne Arundel) allows Sunday sale as well (closest to Baltimore: Goldberg's on Ritchie Highway)...and even if liquor stores aren't open Sunday, many(most in Baltimore) bars have "off-sale" licenses that allow them to sell "package goods" to go...

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: blue laws?

prankster's right ...i wasn't thinking about the middle of the night...but apart from that, hours vary from store to store.

i didn't realize anne arundel allowed sunday openings! learn something new every day LOL.

the downside to buying beer to go on sunday at a bar is the price....that's for emergencies only!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: blue laws?

& prankster....am i right or wrong in thinking that beer is ALL they're allowed to sell to go?

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: blue laws?

Good to know-thank you very much!!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: blue laws?

I live in Laurel right on the PG County/Anne Arundel County border. Stores in Anne Arundel County can sell anything.

On the rare occasions when I needed to get a bottle of rum I have to drive 5 minutes up the road to Anne Arundel County because you can only buy Beer and Wine in PG County on Sunday.

7. Re: blue laws?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 09:19
Get answers to your questions about Baltimore