We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,354 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

I'm spending four days in Savannah with a friend in early May and I know we'll be out and about at mealtimes and will have to agree on some places. Rather than tell me the best places to go, could youu give me your "cheat sheet" of places to be avoided in the River and Historic areas. I would like to be able to say no to the worst places . With all due respect to Paula Deen - and I do love her shows- I've put that on the don't go list already- but what else is to be avoided at all costs?

Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

Two I'd say to avoid are the Pirates House and Johnny Harris. Both are fairly famous but are also examples of faded glory. We've eaten at Pirates House several times since the 80s, and it's gone downhill (we last ate there in 03, on a Saturday night, and it was virtually deserted).

We ate at Johnny Harris on our most recent visit, in 05. The food was OK but the service was absolutely terrible. See the review my wife (roswellmom) posted for this place.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

try angels bbq. you can't possibly be disapointed. it

is one of the better bbq joints in the state you are SURE to have a great meal there. we did, and have every time.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,354 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

I've been making a list of places to try if we are near them at mealtimes, and Angel's was on it already - thanks! I appreciate the warnings about the other two- I'm making what I hope will be a much shorter "cheat sheet" to glance at of places I should not allow myself to be talked into , no matter how impressive or crowded they appear.

Coming from a tourist mecca myself ( Ft. Lauderdale) I know how easily you can be fooled by outward appearances- I'm hoping I can avoid the "traps."

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

The only "Tourist" restaurant we have in my opinion is Lady and Sons. Even that is not a bad place, just not worth the wait unless you are a big Paula fan.

There are a couple places on the river we have always avoided because I thought they were for tourists, then someone comes on here and raves it was the best meal they had in Savannah.

I think there are so many variables that make up a good restaurant experience that very few places can be put on a black list.

Especially in Savannah some very small, out of the way, even run down places have excellent food and good health department scores.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

This isn't in the Historic District, but for this area, when I hear the words "tourist trap", the first thing that pops into my mind is The Crab Shack on Tybee.

Locals won't eat there. You shouldn't either.

Westbury NY
Level Contributor
210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

I would try the Olde Pink House for dinner & Clarys for a cheap reasonable breakfast (something I found hard to find in Savannah)

Marty

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

Because there are so many people that live and work in the Historic District, restaurants have to cater both to the locals and to the tourists. Good food is needed to keep the locals coming. I don't think they could stay in business with just the tourist trade. The Lady and Sons is an exception as so many tourists just want to eat at Paula's restaurant. Her food is good, but locals don't want the wait.

The Crab Shack is interesting to people that are not used to our local seafood. I wouldn't go in hot weather.

In other words, it's hard to find something that's really not worth the trip. All places have an occasional problems with staff, but usually visitors are happy with their selections.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

J. Christophers has a good reasonably priced breakfast and tables inside or out.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

I got what I think is the best ever bacon, egg and cheese biscuit with a coffee to go from J. Christophers one morning last week...but they charged me almost $9.

I think Clary's gives you a lot more for your $$$ if you are on a budget, but J. Christophers does have a nice presence with the art work and bright, high ceilings.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Us Avoid The Tourist Trap Restaurants, Please!

Isn't Bubba's as good as Paula's?

Get answers to your questions about Savannah
Recent Conversations