We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

sumter,sc
Level Contributor
265 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

Hey all!

I am planning a long weekend in Savannah in mid July.

I have heard from some of my friends~ that they had to wait 3 hrs just to eat. Is it really worth the wait? I love her shows and her recipes....but 3 hrs sounds a little over rated.

Do YOU think it is worth a 3 hr wait?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

I see you are from Sumter SC.....if so you are probably familiar with a very good Southern Style of cooking. So, that's what you are going to get. Would it be worth it to you? Remember that she's not the one doing the actual cooking.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

We think it has gone downhill a bit, but is still pretty good. As for the wait, I would suggest lunch, get there early in morning around 9-930 or thereabouts. You "register" for a lunchtime in the morning, then can walk around and return ON TIME to be seated, so it isn't too bad.

It is pricey for lunch buffet, but the food is well prepared. I think the high quality is a victim of the place's popularity.

Another option is Mrs. Wilkes boarding house for lunch, no dinner. We have not ate there yet, but I hear good things.

sumter,sc
Level Contributor
265 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

Gee... thanks for the quick reply! :o) Yep... from Sumter.

You know ~ you have a point. If it is just ol' southern food... I can get that here at my Mom's house! Collards...fried chicken... mac and cheese...lol! Maybe I will pass on that this go round. But thanks for the helpful info!

The other place sounds great too...but we will not be in town until Friday evening.

Do you guys have any Italian places that you would reccomend?

Athens, GA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

No, definitely not worth it.

For a real sampling of delicious, authentic, home-style Southern food with charm, head over to Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House.

They only serve lunch, starting at 11am. If you arrive at around 10:45 you will be seated at around 11:30, far less time required for the hours necessary to secure reservations for the lackluster tourist trap, aka The Lady and Sons.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

If you're absolutely salivating for food like the Lady & Son's, try the Pirate's House buffet. The food is exactly the same.

I prefer Mrs. Wilkes personally, but if you want to get in with no waiting then maybe the P.H. is a good alternative.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

Now that the temperature is over 90 degrees, people pass out on the sidewalk waiting to get in that place.

Fried chicken is not worth risking your health for.

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

I was in Savannah in May, it was my first trip there and I was not about to go to Savannah without eating at Paula Deen's. I absolutely love her! We went to the restaurant around 11:30 on a Friday afternoon hoping to sneak in for lunch, but they had already stopped taking names for lunch by that time. They were to begin taking names for dinner at 3:30 so we went back to get in line at 2:30, and there were already around 40 people in line. We waited and finally made our way to the hostess, she asked what time we wanted to eat and we told her around 7, she told us to be back at 6:30. We got back to the restaurant that evening a little before 6:30 and within 5 minutes, we were seated. We had the buffet and we thought it was delicious, especially the low country boil. I was not impressed with the fried chicken, I was born and raised in GA, and it definitely wasn't my mama's fried chicken (lol). But to answer your question, I think it is worth the wait. Perhaps it is a bit over-rated because of the stardom of Ms. Deen, but it just seems like one of those things you're supposed to do when you go to Savannah.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

For italian try Corleone's, on the corner of Broughton and MLK. It is reviewed here under the name Cosentino's. We have been there before and after the name change and it is still very good.

A couple doors north is a new place that is a chocolate dessert place and a martini bar, a funny combination but the desserts looked wonderful. We didn't try them because we were too full from eating at Corleone's.

sumter,sc
Level Contributor
265 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

Thanks sooo much for your input!

Since we will be on such a limited time frame... I think we may pass on PD's place. I am sure it would be less crowded if we hit it during a weekeday. But I do agree.... it sounds like that is one of the "touristy" place to eat.:o) The PH sounds great... and thanks for the input on the Italian place. And the tip on the chocolate place. That is right up my ally. I am one of those people who would just rather eat dessert first!!

Now that I have an agenda where to eat... I need to decide where to stay.LOL!!

I am looking pretty hard @ the Hampton downtown. Any yay's or nay's??? I want something under 200 bucks a night... but something kinda close to downtown.

Garden City GA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Paula Deen place worth the wait?

The Hampton is a dandy location.

I am sure that you will enjoy it.