We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost tour

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ghost tour

I thought I might take in a ghost tour. However, I thought a later one would be better than one at 7:00 PM. I was thinking of a Sunday night in October. I think the sun might set around 7 or so. Since the tour would be finished after it is dark (actually either the 7:00 or 9:00 tour), how safe would it be for a single woman to walk to her car? I hope to join some other people, but I can't garantee that I will be able to.

Is the district well lit? I will probably park in the lot by the visitor's center, mainly because I don't know of any where else I would be able to park. Therefore, I will have to go from the tour to the parking lot.

Also, I will be arriving in Savannah around 1 PM Sunday. I was planning on checking in the hotel and getting a bite to eat. Therefore, I probably won't be able to do much in the HD before 2. I was thinking about taking a trolley tour (probably between 2 and 3PM. I thought I might have dinner and either walking around town for a bit (if I take the ghost tour at 9) or taking the ghost tour at 7 (and afterwards either go back to the hotel, or just walk around town for awhile).

Is there something that I should NOT do?

Thanks

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost tour

What you should NOT do is worry so much. People come to Savannah to play!

Most of the ghost tours (if you take the trolleys) pick you up from a central location with other guests or front the front doors of the Historic Disctrict hotels. Therefore, you will be in well - lit areas with lots of other people.

Walking tours usually have you meet them at a focal point, may a square or the cemetary gates. If you arrive early enough, you will have a parking space close to that spot.

By the way - as a tour guide who specializes in ghost tours - the biggest fallicy is that taking the tour after dark is best for encounters. Ghosts don't opperate on our pre-concieved notions of time. Why should they? They appear at 2:00pm in the afternoon as often as 2:00am in the morning.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost tour

If you're worried about walking back, arrange for a pedicab (pedal taxi) to meet you where the tour ends. Most hotel front desks/concierges can do this without any trouble.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost tour

Also, on the street parking is free after 5 p.m. in Savannah, and free on the weekends as well.

Macon, GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost tour

My friend and I ( we are both female) went to Savannah in May and took the "Ghosts and Gravestones" trolley tour in the evening when it was dark. The trolley picked everyone up on River Street at the same time. Our host, Lord Troy, asked if anyone would like to be dropped off at their hotel on the way back. So if you are staying in that general area, you could check into that. We were staying at The Hampton on Bay which is only a couple of blocks away, and we just walked back. We were not afraid because we were walking with other folks who had gotten off the trolley. And we enjoyed Lord Troy's presentation very much.

5. Re: Ghost tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 23:16