We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary this weekend!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary this weekend!

My wife and I (both mid-20s no kids) are staying at the Westin Harborside this weekend and I need suggestions!?!?! Where to go, eat, what to do, the works? What do ya'll suggest? Coming from Charlotte, NC. We don't nature hike but we love art, music, good food and fun things you can't miss.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

OK first lesson --- put alot more planning into your anniversary next year. It is a big deal, you should already have everything planned out by now. Take it from someone who has been married 21 years,

to my first and only wife, you need to put alot of thought into birthdays and anniversaries, you should be asking yourself -- What would she really love, what is unique to her, what would knock her socks off ? You need to make this uniquely and thoughtfully about her -- If you cant think of anything, then atleast do something you have never done, so that this weekend stands out from all the others .

THERE is a ton of information in the tabs above, read them, then ask questions --- what cuisine do you prefer ---- Most hotels will do the chocolate covered strawberries/champagne/rose petals on the floor and bed thing for about $50.00-75.00 -- I would definitely have something romantic planned for your room, after your night of fun. The Westin is a great hotel, I would check with the web-site or the conceirge to see what romantic things thay can do for you as part of your room package.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

Don't miss the Telfair Museum. They have two buildings of art, right near each other and they own a beautiful restored, period furnished house. You can get a package ticket.

Take an on/off trolley tour. There is a ton of history here and you will learn a lot on a tour. The on/off thng letd you jump off to look at something or get a cup of coffee, or get away from a bad tour guide, then just hop back on, all day long.

Jazz'd Tapas is a very good place to eat with live music. Il Pasticcio is excellent neuveau italian, in a great people watching spot. Garibaldi's or the Pink House, or Belford's all excellent food and service.

The Westin has hammocks and a porch swing by the river, don't miss a few minutes there. Little gas fire pits too if it is a little chilly.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

Thanks this is very helpful. We both really like the history aspect of Charleston and that is what has drawn us to Savannah. Anything along those lines we can't miss? Any recommendations for fun at night other than dinner? Comedy, music, shows, gallerys?

Charlotte
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

As far as types of food, is there a good seafood recommendation?

Alpahretta
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

If it is a nice night out I would suggest grabbing some before dinner of after dinner cocktails at Churchill's Pub - they have a fantastic rooftop bar that is a great place to chill out... http://www.thebritishpub.com/

Also, stay away from the typical food places...they are very much tourist traps... Try - http://ilpasticciosavannah.com/page6.html

for a very nice dinner! Not too expensive but fantastic food and great wine!

If you are looking for something to do that is outside and does not include shopping - then try http://www.oatlandisland.org/about.htm

great place to be outdoors and enjoy nature - great boardwalks through the marsh... Really neat!

Have fun!

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

I'd recommend the Pink House because of the food & the history. Also see the Sapphire Grill and the 45 Bistro. An up-and-comer is certainly Isaac's on Drayton-- I had a fabulous meal there the other night.

B. Matthews, Cha Bella's, Alligator Soul and Jazz'd would be great options, too. Google these and see what appeals to you.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

History buffs should take the trolley tour, tour at east one house ans go to Fort Pulaski, 20 minutes from downtown, on the way to the beach.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

Savannah Smiles, dueling pianos is very fun and funny. City Market , River Street and the Broughton and Bull st area all have a number of live music venues, wander around and see what you find.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

for history do some light reading on the net about how Savannah was formed. Military style layout, Gen Oglethorpe was leader. Hence the grid layout. Be sure to see the great squares, which have beautiful oaks. Definitely start with on/off trolley tours to get bearings and identify places you want to walk back to later.

Also, Bonaventure Cemetary is good side trip for history. Several original colonists graves, besides being a very beautiful place.

Right nearby is Wormsloe, never been, but looks good from road. Old homestead site.

Forsyth park is pretty. A short walk along River Street is worth the time. Most of the squares have older houses with historical stories.

I think the Westin Harborside is across the River from main part of town, I could be wrong though. Find out water taxi/shuttle schedule when you arrive.

10. Re: Anniversary this weekend!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Savannah