We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Girlfriends Trip

North Idaho
3 posts
Save Topic
Best Girlfriends Trip

My best friend and I are planning a trip to Savannah the last full week in April -about 4 nights, without the husbands. She is coming from Calif., me from Idaho to celebrate our 55th birthdays. We would like to stay in the Historic District and not rent a car. Are there hotels with airport pick-up and shuttle services around town? Any recommendations? We are thinking of taking Amtrak to Charleston for a day - any thoughts? Neither of us have been to this part of the country before and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
86 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

I'm a local so I don't know about shuttles to the hotels. I have lots of guests that I pick up at the airport but I can't recall shuttles sitting outside like you see in larger cities. You could always take a cab. You do not need a car while in Savannah. You would however need a car to get to the Amtrak station. It is in a TERRIBLE location. Of course you could take a cab. The train to Charleston might also dump you out in another terrible place. The southeast (the entire U.S. for that matter) isn't set up to make carless travel easy. We don't even have public transit to our airport. So, having said all that, you might find yourself taking a cab into the city, to the train station, from the train station and back to the airport. It might just be easier to have a car. You might also find a location downtown that rents cars. You could just drive to Charleston for the day, drive back and return the car. As far as shuttle services around town, you have a few options. . . 1) walk, it's flat and beautiful, you probably won't need wheels if you are healthy; 2) use the free shuttle that zips around the downtown and is free (http://www.catchacat.org/shuttle.aspx) or 3) take an on/off tour that let's you get on and off as often as you like. I like most hotels in the historic district. Stay as close to Bull Street as you can, and within the boundaries of the river to the north, Gaston Street to the south (except Forsyth Park Hotels), well within East Broad to the East and well within MLK Blvd to the west. Good luck.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

Rent a car. Just do it, use the rental to drive to & from the airport and for a day trip into Charleston, which is under 2 hours away. Once in the historic district of Savannah, keep your car parked in a garage, and either walk or use the free CAT shuttle or a tour trolley on/off for touring.

None of the hotels provide airport shuttles. The train service (Amtrak) isn't practical as it goes through Charleston at night....their train station is in the boonies,too.

Please know that April is a very busy time in Savannah, so many of the hotels will already be booked.

North Idaho
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

Thanks for the info on Amtrak and hotel boundaries etc. I appreciate the input! We will book our hotel ASAP

Charlotte
Level Contributor
19 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

I stay in Savannah quite often and while we have our car, we never use it once we get there. We walk everywhere. There is a shuttle that you can do a tour with and they will pick you up for the next day or so at certain stops. All you do is call them. Savannah also has a free public shuttle and you can get that information at the Visitor's Center.

I can't imagine going to Savannah and not walking, it is part of the whole experience!!

Clinton Twp, MI
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

My best friend and I travel all the time, and Savannah, GA is one of our favorite places to go. Its beautiful there, and there are lots of things to do. Make it a point to have a meal at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. I promise you it is an experience your not soon to forget. Also, plan on spending time on River St. Lots of shops, restaurants and things to do, not to mention a cocktail or two! The market place is also fun.

Some people just rave about Charleston, but we went to Savannah first, and frankly in my opinion, Charleston just doesn't compare.

If you do decide to rent a car, a better trip would be an hour south to Jekyll Island.Its a straight shot and you will not regret it, its beautiful. Good place to eat there is Lattitude 31, food is excellent and the sunset view is incredible.

I could go on and on about Savannah and Jekyll island. If you have questions, don't hesitate.

North Idaho
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

Hi Girlz on the go.....Loved you post - Thanks! My BFF and I are getting so excited about our trip. We are both reading "the book" and pouring over stuff from AAA and the library. I've got four feet of snow on the ground here in Idaho and BFF has had lots of rain in central Calif......Springtime in Savannah will be sublime!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

www.savannahairport.com/groundtransport.php

Check out this site for information on transportation from the airport. Also rates. The rate is set and should not vary from one cab company to another.

Clinton Twp, MI
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

Glad I could help. You will love it there. Weather will be good compared to what you have at home. I'm right there with you, we are in the middle of a winter storm here in Michigan. They're calling for 6-12 inches today, so I can certainly sympathize.

There are a lot of nice places to stay. One time we stayed at the Inns at Ellis Square, very nice without being overly pricey. This being your first time in this part of the country, you will love it and return again and again.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

I was in Savannah in September. I flew in with my sisters. We took a cab from airport to our hotel (in the historic district) and it was perhaps a little over $40 for the 3 of us (cab fare plus tip). I was planning on renting a car just for 1 day. Our B&B would have arranged for it (rental company picks you up and will drive you to their office - similar to Enterprise set up). Our B&B also had free parking. If we had headed to Charleston...I definitely would have rented a car. Your hotel/B&B will make the arrangements. We were in Savannah for 4 nights, 5 days. We had 3 whole days in Savannah and I feel we could have done Savannah in two days. We did spread it out and we never felt rushed. Still and all, we didn't see all the potential things on our list (the forts for one).

It's a very walkable city but we could have used the CAT shuttle which is free within the historic district and appears to have a very flexible schedule. Ask your hotel about the CAT. The other thing we never did (and our B&B recommended) was a pedicab (bicycle cab - similar to NYC Central Park). The pedicabs are free - you just tip the driver. They will pick you up at your accomodation.

10. Re: Best Girlfriends Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about Savannah