We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Thunderbird Inn????

Anybody stayed here lately. Pros and Cons.

Rates look good, but not sure about location (bus station across street).

Thanks

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderbird Inn????

http://www.savannahgetaways.net/poi/index.cfm

this is a map of the Historic District. The Thunderbird is on the western edge of the HD. There's a picture of a bus which represents the bus station. It is directly across from the Bus Station area. It's a few blocks north of the Visitors center and across from the county courthouse.

As you can see, you would have a good walk to get to the center of the HD which is Bull Street.

Ga
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderbird Inn????

You get what you pay for, seedy end of town.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunderbird Inn????

I had some clients last weekend who stayed there. They chose it because it is a block from their son's dorm.

They loved it.

Pros - great rate, nice decor, right at the edge of Historic District

Cons - across from bus station; this is a motel, not a hotel

I'm local and I would stay there in a heartbeat because the pros outweigh the cons.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunderbird Inn????

I'm with Joan. Don't stumble home at 3am but otherwise it is a busy part of town and not real far from things, for the price.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thunderbird Inn????

It's located across the street from Yamacraw Village, the city's worst housing project, and the bus station. Lots of transients walking around. A better ---more secure choice would be the Hampton Inn and Suites a block and a half to the east of the Thunderbird. Interior hallways & security.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thunderbird Inn????

I've never stayed at the Thunderbird but I've stayed at the Econo Lodge 20 or so times, it fact I just got back from it yesterday. It's also a motel and is a block from the Thunderbird. It's not the best part of town it's true but I've never had a problem. I go for whatever's cheapest in the historic district and that's always been the Econo Lodge. Sadly it will no longer be an option after this month, it's coming down.

7. Re: Thunderbird Inn????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 08:22