We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's an absolute must see/do

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
What's an absolute must see/do

Hi we are visiting Savannah for 5 days at March break leaving town (airport side) very early on the day of the St Patricks parade. We have 3 kids 9,11 and 15. Is there anything we really should see or do with them? or should we just enjoy the warmer weather (we are down from Canada) and wander at leisure. All recommendations gratefully received.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

I am not sure that I understood your post.

Will you be arriving in Savannah very early on March 14th?

Where will you be staying? Do you plan to attend the parade? The kids are too young to enjoy the "party" atmosphere afterwards. Really, there's very little strolling to be done in the Historic District on the 14th.

The HD will have a major clean-up day on Saturday the 15th. It's always a big mess afterwards.

Kids that age will enjoy a visit to Fort Pulaski and the beach. The Jepson Art Museum has a hands on exhibit for children. The two younger ones might enjoy that. If they are interested in ships....the Savannah Maritime Museum is interesting.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

Sorry i should have been more clear. No we arrive on the 9th and leave early on the 14th to avoid what i imagine will be large crowds for the parade. We are staying at Staybridge suites out by the airport.I know its a good 25 minute drive into the historic section but we do not have a problem with that.

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

I'm sure your children would enjoy Tybee Island

with it's beach but I'm not sure how warm it will be

in March. Visit the lighthouse. You may want to

consider a 'ghost tour' in Savannah. Search them out

online. I'm sure there is one that will be suited

for children. Our son liked the Ships of the Sea

Maritime Museum when he was young. Also, there are

river cruises. I think they would like River Street

with its view of the river and all the shops.

Eat at Vinnie Van's Go Go Pizza - see reviews in this

forum. Do a little online research, you will find

plenty to see and do.

Have a great trip!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

Thanks very much for the info. Yes i think Tybee Island will be on the agenda for sure. Its pretty cold here in Ontario at the moment (15F and -4 with wind chill) so any Georgia weather is going to feel good to us for beach walks!!! I have to say i can't wait and we are all really looking forward to it.

Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

We just got back last night from a short trip to Savannah. Weather was very warm, even with some rain. All the kids got wet in the ocean, but didn't actually go swimming.

Our kids are 7, 9, and 11 and we did the Old Town Trolley Ghost and Graveyard tour. It was GREAT and even the 7 year old didn't get too scared. It's perfect for older kids and teens. Take lots of digital photos! You get to tour inside the Sorrel-Weed house, which was featured on Sci-fi channel's Ghost Hunters TV show. It was declared haunted. We got some interesting stuff on our photos from that place! The Hanging Tree was the best, though (it's in Wright Square). We got oodles and oodles of "orbs" in those photos!

River Street is great, and open pretty late, too. I think your kids will LOVE Savannah!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

Thanks so much, my younger guy loves ghost hunters so i think a ghost tour will HAVE to go on the intinery. I was a little concerned earlier that it seeemd more of an "adult destination" judging by some posts. However my kids enjoy cities and are happy just walking around and soaking up atmosphere, and the last couple of posts make me feel we have made a good decision.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

I can tell you without reservation, the most fun activity that you can have with your children, without spending a ton of money. Go to Walmart or other local store and purchase 2 crabnets (about $3.00 each, and a flashlight ($3-5.00). Drive to Tybee Island after dark, and let your kids chase and catch crabs (most are pretty small -- not the eating kind). The crab's eyes glow when light hits them, and then the chase is on. Watching them chase crabs, and then watching the crabs chase them, is more fun than you will ever have a Disney Land (just make sure they wear shoes, as the jellyfish presence at Tybee can be huge at times). And the good news is that all that running around makes for a good night's sleep. It will be more fun for the 9 and 11 year old, but the 15 year old will have fun too. Sounds crazy, I know. And of course you and your wife can enjoy a leisurely moonlight stroll on the beach while the kids are running around.

Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

We had a 9:00 ghost tour that was over at 10:15. We hadn't eaten dinner, but Spanky's was just a few yards down. They had a bar, but seated us and made us feel right at home with our kids there. It was nice to find a place to eat (other than Waffle House) that late at night!

They don't have a kids' menu, though. Our total bill for 2 adults, 3 children was $70. We ordered one appetizer and I had two drinks. The food was good - definitely try the spuds!

Walking around there at 11 and later at night with 3 kids - we felt perfectly comfortable. This seems to be the kind of city that doesn't stress over kids too much. I loved it and can't wait to go back!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

Thanks everyone for the posts i laughed out loud at the crab catching. That sounds like a must. My 15 year would think it was hilarious and i know would enjoy it as much as the other two. I know we travel down on the day the clocks go forward. What time are we looking at for it to get dark down south?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's an absolute must see/do

I would say between 8-8:30 would be sundown, and 9pm good and dark, but i might be wrong --- it seems that it is dark/dark around 9:30 in the middle of summer.