We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

My fiance and I are planning to elope in the historic district. We were planning on using the gazebo in Whitefield Square, but it is booked that day as well as the fountain in Forsyth Park. It is just going to be the 2 of us and I was hoping for something quiet and outdoors. We are planning for a Saturday in late March (not during St. Pat's day!)

I am looking for suggestions on locations (squares, park locations, B&B's, museums, etc...)We don't want to pay much money (the squares are free since we have no guests) but want something tasteful and romantic.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

I went to a wedding in Troup Square and Columbia Square. Both were beautiful.

Congratulations.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

Maybe locals can comment on whether or not this is a good idea or even possible, but there are Paddlewheel Riverboat rides you can take that last around 90 minutes. Obviously it would be a bad idea if it were narrated the whole time! :) Getting married in a public place is iffy for "quiet" anywhere, but I think it would be romantic to get married on an upper balcony and throw your bouquet off the balcony. Maybe at your B&B can let you do this.

Kennesaw, GA
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

I think Monterrey Square would be a great spot.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

Perhaps the Riverboat Captain could perform the ceremony, a la the African Queen? Anyone know if the captain can still marry a couple?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

Don't forget to pick up a Georgia license in time for the ceremony. Check this out for what you need to have with you.

…about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/georgia.htm

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

Thanks for all your suggestions. The wedding planner has suggested a ceremony at the waving girl statue as well as somewhere in Forsyth Park. I've been looking at 360 degree pics of the squares and Columbia and Lafayette Squares look nice. I don't want there to be a ton of tourist gawking at us, and I thought that the waving girl statue would have many people there. Does anyone have any thoughs on these? Also, I'm not excited about exchanging vows by the river.

We would like to go to a nice place to eat after the ceremony (in our wedding outfits). Anyone have suggestions of a nice place to go that we won't stand out? We don't care if it's expensive, as long as its good!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

Is this an afternoon wedding? If so, Elizabeth's on 37th might be just the thing. They open at 6:00pm. You wouldn't be overdressed there. For a noon time lunch in the Historic District, you might stand out like a sore thumb no matter where you go.

http://www.elizabethon37th.net/

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

Aaaah!! My favorite subject lately!! We live in Massachusetts, but my fiance and I are getting married at the fountain at Forsyth Park in May, just the two of us!! We used a wedding planner since we don't live down there and know no one... I can give you his contact info if you'd like (he's been great so far!), but it sounds like you might already have someone. I'm sure the planners would have plenty of suggestions about where to have the ceremony. We were lucky enough to score the fountain, and then we're doing pictures and a horse and carriage ride... and then dinner back at the Mansion on Forsyth Park I think, where we'll still be in our wedding attire and have a personal little cake or something after. I guess Vic's on the River is also a good place to have a nice dinner after? Good luck with planning!! I'm so excited, and I'm sure you are too!!

9. Re: Help need a suggestion on where to marry!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 02:19