We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

Hi All,

My Wife and I are coming to Savannah as part of an 8 night trip to Georgia in just over 3 weeks time. Thanks to the very helpful guys on the Atlanta forum (many of which I know post here as well) I have planned what I consider a doable and more importantly enjoyable itinerary for the first part of our trip in Atlanta.

What it doesn't allow us is much time for rest, which is not something we are used to on holiday anyway but concerns a little. With this in mind we are wondering about just how much of our 4 days/nights in Savannah we need to plan? From what I have read/heard Savannah to me seems to be a city you can arrive at and just "go with the flow". By that I mean, get up, have a nice hearty breakfast and set out for the day with no particular goals but just to walk around and see the city in all its glories.

Is there anything we need to plan/book prior to our arrvial in the city? Our 4th day we will probably head up to Hilton Head as it is close enough to do so, but the rest of the 3 full days we will have in the Savannah area, and we will have a car as well. I am guessing maybe the lunches at some of the more popular eateries might have to have a degree of planning, or perhaps waiting in line?

I have read a lot of positive and negative reviews of the trolley tours on this forum. I must admit we thought this might be a good option on our first day just to get us orientated. Would you recommend?

Aside from the above, what do you think? Can we (as I put it) go with the flow????? :)

Look forward to your replies.

Ju123

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

" Go with the flow" is a very good way to look at it. It's a city that just needs to be strolled. You can't really plan to DO a lot of things. That pushes you.

Taking a trolley tour is a good idea. Keep track of what you want to see later and go back on your own.

Plan on a drive to Tybee Beach. It's a relaxing drive over the marshes. If you have time, check out Fort Pulaski on the way. The view from the top overlooking Tybee and the river is spectacular!!! The grounds around the fort are lovely too.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

Hi Aileen,

Thanks for the reply.

We intend including a visit to Tybee (and hopefully Fort Pulaski) on the day we head to Hilton Head. That will be our final full day in Georgia and having use of a car will enable us to get a fair bit done that day. It will mean an early start, but I'm sure it is doable.

Thanks for confirming the "go with the flow" idea in Savannah. The trolley tour sounds good, and it will give us a fair idea of areas to revisit over the remaining days.

Here's hoping for some good weather. Any visit to a new city or area is made so much better by the weather.

Ju123

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

Plan a portion, and leave a portion to whims or chance.

If there's something you must see, by all means plan to see it. But don't overplan-- because either you're taking the trip or the trip is taking you. A rigid itinerary can be a real downer sometimes.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

That should work out well. Just for fun, when you go to the beach, look to your left as you face the ocean. That green place over to the north of where you are standing, is Hilton Head. Now, get in your car and in a couple of hours, you will be there. It's too bad you have to go the long way.....by land.

My grandfather used to ROW his little rowboat from there to the docks in Savannah to pick up stuff for the family (yeah....long, long time ago!)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

I think a day trip is a great idea if you have 4 days in Savannah. I would HIGHLY recommend a day trip to the lovely town of Beaufort, just a little up the road from Savannah (on the way to Charleston). There is too much to do in Charleston to make it a day trip, (and in 3 weeks we'll be entering our "Festival of Homes and Gardens", so the city will be filled with architecture and gardening enthusiasts) but in Beaufort I'd recommend the carriage ride with Walter Gay, shopping on Bay Street, and having lunch at the Sea Island Wine and Gourmet (for the chicken salad).

I did this myself yesterday and my trip report is on the Beaufort forum. Totally doable in 1/2 a day and return to Savannah to freshen up and go to dinner. Cheers!

florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

what I would do is find info on stuff you like, food, entertainment, etc and determine exactly where these gems are located. Then you can wander around town and when you pass it, you'll stop in. Also, you can make sure you get someplace before they close. You'll need a map, too. I suggest browsing through several pages of posts here, there are good suggestions on food, theater, art, etc.

Also, if there's something in particular you really like, just ask and someone will make a suggestion.

7. Re: Is it ok just to go with the flow in Savannah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 17:16