We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lady and Sons

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Lady and Sons

Well, we went their because of the hype on Food Network this was about a year or so ago. I will have to say that to me the place is terrible ! I cannot beleive the way things are " set " up their first you wait in line for 2 hours or more then they take your name and they tell you to come back in about 1 hour and a half ? What? Its been 3 and a half hours so far !!!! Then you come back and you wait for your name to be called I think it was about 30 minutes now its been 4 hours ( Why no reservations here? ) We went online at Emerils and made reservations when we got to the door we walked right in! So we sat down I would say the service was good but,,, the food we had to buffets fried chicken what Paula Deen is known for it was terrible ! All you could taste was burnt grease someone did not taste the food before hand the sides where good ( I can make better Mac n Cheese) The wife new I was about the blow a four hour wait for this? I did not say anything it was very crowded but, when we got back to the room I could not take it ! I called and they said well the next time your in town come eat with us for free ... So 2 days later we where still in town we called and told them we where coming ( we still had to wait about a hour) so we ate it was better but, not worth the hype then when It came time to pay I told them what the situation was .. they did not beleive me I said I am not paying ask your manager now she was not there and she had her cell off I thought they where going to call the police can you imagine? I wonder what Paula Deen would have said at this point I doubt it would be Hi Yall! ... So finally we got that problem resolved then on the way back from Florida I got a call it was some manger from Lady and Sons who wanted to invite us for dinner on them because , of all the problems well, we had dinner it was good but, not worth all the problems

My advise stay away unless you got 4 hours to wait in line and be treated like cattle!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lady and Sons

Everyone visiting Savannah comes and tells us, "we just HAVE to eat at the Lady and Sons..we CAN"T go back home without eating there!!!"

We try to share the experiences we have read about like yours on this forum, but they always have to learn the hard way.

We hate to see your valuable time wasted. Shame is, so many of her fans feel insulted after patronizing her restaurant and receiving the same service you did, I'm afraid the clock is ticking on her hour and a half of fame.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lady and Sons

Maybe she has lost touch since she has her hands in many other projects... Also I can say that I watch the show from time to time and it seems that she sometimes cooks with items that I doubt that she has cooked with until she came to the food network for example I doubt that she has cooked prosciutto more than likely she used bacon. And it seems that Bobbys wife is hardly seen ( since they got married ) even when they went to Can cun or where ever they went together makes you want to go hmmmm... Maybe she should go back to her roots for a while instead of having someone write another cook book for her. Its a shame and my biggest question is why do we never see Jamie with someone girlfriend makes you want to go hmmm.... maybe he just has a private life

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lady and Sons

Jamie is the one who is married, and Bobby is single, just FYI.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lady and Sons

Sorry folks for the name mix up .... but, I guess you get my point here

savannah
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lady and Sons

Wow the line is unreal. I used to eat at the Lady and Sons before she "hit the map" and it was great. I was traveling in Virginia and D.C. last fall and I saw her products everywhere I went! I have not eaten at her new place, but you have to admire her success story....that is admirable in itself. I believe also that she has proven what a large market there is in Savannah for southern food. Perhaps others will see this and improve on what she has done. Savannah is finally opening some great restaurants that were lacking 15 years ago.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lady and Sons

Her business is definitely experiencing growing pains. I hope she works them out-- I like the Deens and have been eating there for a long, long time.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lady and Sons

Sorrelweed,

You said "her new place you mean UBs? " Because, I am not aware of any other . I agree she has worked hard for her dollars there is no question about that . I kind of feel that there was a little luck involved like when she got her first book published ( I wonder how many other southern cooks at that time where trying to do the same? ) and some one that knows a little history how did the producer ( Gordon Elliot)of her show and her meet? Understanding here I am not trying to take anything from her or her family . I watch her from time to time she has a good show I just think she is spreading herself a little thin a little to fast( if you can understand that) And Road Tasted that her sons have I have tasted and or ordered items they said where fantastic and they where nasty I know that is not them but, its got their name on it so to speak... maybe back to the roots for a while ? back to Lady and Sons (with sons) I think that would be good

savannah
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lady and Sons

No I am not talking about Uncle Bubba's....I mean her current location next to city market. A few years ago, she just had a small restaurant in a different location. I have not eaten in her current location because the lines are so long! I am not in a position to talk about how her food is today because of that. But I think the entire Paula Dean phenomena is unreal. About 40 percent of the tourists I speak with tell me they are eating at the Lady and Sons. Luck or no luck, I have never seen such a small local restaurant turn into a national pastime. I hope she gets everything worked out with her customer overflow. My hat is off to her!

9. Re: Lady and Sons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 00:15